Notgames Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:17:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Björk's Biophilia  (Read 6689 times)
Kjell

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »

Björk entering notgames territory?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/may/28/bj-rks-biophilia
Chris W

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:35:05 PM »

My father-in-law (a professor of music in the Cal State system) was telling me about this last week.  It looks very interesting.  We agreed that as a tool to edit the music, it's not particularly accurate or powerful, putting it in the toy/game/exploration realm, rather than allowing for real alternate authorship.  As far as notgames, I think you could make the argument that she is pushing toward a similar ideal from the other side - using her own native medium as a starting point.

I don't really listen to Bjork much, but I do give her credit for always pushing boundaries and being progressive with her craft.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »

I love Bjork but it feels like we've been here before in the 90's and 00's. Wired magazine was wanking all about this, talking like its the future of music. It's not. We don't need "interactive music" because music is already interactive. "Interactive" music videos tend to detract from the music. A rhythm game is not music. Remix apps aren't music either. The iPad is cool but it's not a paradigm shift, it's just a smart evolution. Lately, her music has been more like she's looking for a gimmick than pushing boundaries. I'll probably get around to downloading one or two of the apps, and maybe I'm just too negative, but I'm not expecting much.

Irony is for cowards.
Chris W

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »

Got a chance to play around with this over the weekend, and there were positives and negatives.  It definitely isn't a remix app (I also thought it might have been that) or any other existing genre pasted onto an album.  It is an exploration through sound involving a spacial interface (somewhat similar to the project I am working on now  Smiley ).

In the end, it was intriguing enough that I spent 15 or 20 minutes having fun playing around with it.  In the end, though, my big disappointment was that I never was able to find a result that sounded like a complete music composition.  The different tracks were separated in space, and therefor you could never hear them all together.  Since the experience is delivered to the user as a music album, I was disappointed that I never got to experience the actual composed music.  Still, a neat little toy.
Erik Svedäng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »

I can recommend watching this if you have the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7NnMgZjRF0 (Scott Snibbe at Science Gallery)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: