Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:44:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Choice vs. Dillema  (Read 7717 times)
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:57:50 AM »

I don't like it when a game presents me 2 choices, like kill the puppy or let it live happy.
Or any other choices. I don't care about choices. They are superficial, I feel.

I want the game to present me to dilemmas like the trolley problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

Make me think, game.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »

I think the obsession with choice is just part of the addiction to power and control that game developers and gamers have. If games were properly authored, any choice would be an opportunity to explore different aspects of a situation. In other words: the choice itself should be irrelevant, as a moral action or whatever. Choice should offer another opportunity for play, not a way to judge the player or make some kind of big statement. Any path chosen should be interesting in its own way.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »

I can quite like choices in games (or the illusion thereof) when done right. It's a very valid technique but one often overemphasized as if it was the only way to achieve depth.

Any path chosen should be interesting in its own way.
I think this is absolutely essential when doing choices. One should not feel like being cheated by the game for doing what one believes in. There can be "wrong" answers but they shouldn't lead to a lesser experience, just a different one. This is just one of the reasons why choices are not some quick-fix to add depth but incredibly difficult to pull off right.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: