Notgames Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:49:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amsterdam Multiverse  (Read 12293 times)
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »

Hey notgamers,

what is everybody occupied with?
I am in a phase, where I am too tired to do some programming, so I use the hiatus
to do some film editing of more or less random footage I shot in Amsterdam a month ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlR7p3iNUc

Programming a game is hard work, editing is comparably easy because of the available TOOLS.
I don't even have to use the keyboard to for film editing, actually I only used the mouse

I want to create games in the same effort-less way.

BTW. I need some feedback on the film. I am halfway through, as you can see in the video above.
Any feedback is welcome. After I finished the first draft, I will rework some parts of it, if neccessary.

Let me know what you think

P.S. this is a private youtube link, so don't share it until the work is complete. I might take this link down in a few days...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:41:56 AM by György Dudas » Logged
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »

We can't access the video unless specifically invited. What you want is not a private video, it's an unlisted one.
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »

fixed

http://youtu.be/YP8i7uSiaPs

Music by Phil Glass
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »

The boat ride in the video reminded me of some of Marguerite Duras' films. Do you know them? But those have her beautiful text in voice over. Rather that the Philip Glass stuff that makes everything sound as if it's coming from heaven.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQCgI-QH-Uk
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »

thanks, great find! Interesting, M. Duras' film is the same length (give or take a few seconds...)

I have filmed 2 minutes (total) on the boat trip. I didn't plan to make a film, ... when I was looking for some music, I remembered Music For Voices by Philip Glass. It is not melodic, very repetitive, and a bit abstract. Also, what was good for my purposes is how the voices merge into each other, that I could use when editing.

At the begin I try to "teach" the viewer to relate a voice to an image, so that later in the film the viewer will do this even if I do not match the musical changes to the film changes 1:1 ...

The images and editing should allow to get a better understanding of the music. I love the music, and I hope people watching the film will get a good introduction to the music, which is more than 30 years old, but still very fresh or uneasy to the ears.

The film is half-finished. The music is speeding up now, also it is split into 13, 14 short sections. I hope to reflect that in the rest of the film.

Mårten Jonsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »

On another note, if you want to create games in an effortless way, you should check out Multimedia Fusion. No programming needed.
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »

Yes, I tried Multimedia Fusion. I liked it at first, but the "script" became too complex very fast. It is good for
prototyping, though ... It is a different kind of "coding". You need to be analytical and logical in the same way as programming. I am okay with coding and programming, but at the moment I feel very unmotivated ... I blame summertime

I am almost done with the first draft of Amsterdam Multiverse. There is always room for improvement Wink
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlR7p3iNUc

here is a complete cut from start to finish. I would be very thankful if
some people on this forum could give some feedback.

I am interested in your questions, problems, issues etc.
thanks,
George

I think it is not a game Wink
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:27:05 PM by György Dudas » Logged
Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 12:21:16 AM »

At the begin I try to "teach" the viewer to relate a voice to an image, so that later in the film the viewer will do this even if I do not match the musical changes to the film changes 1:1 ...

I think it kind of works. At times I got the sensation that images were directly producing the music, quite intense.
The problem I think is it that our treshold of tolerance for repetitions of images is much lower than for repetitions of music. For me the visual aspect shiftes often from beeing involving to beeing... repetitive Smiley

I find that the visual effects you add later do work. The video gets hypnotic, making it easier to remain into it.
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »

hey thanks... the dirty little secret of this film is, that I only filmed 2 minutes in Amsterdam... and the music is 13 minutes long.... so there was nothing else, I could do but become a bit repetitive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: