Notgames Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:03:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What If The Next Generation Thinks Video Games are Stupid?  (Read 8349 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:16:39 AM »

This is hilarious:
http://kotaku.com/5895964/what-if-the-next-generation-thinks-video-games-are-stupid
And the writer Stephen Totilo is not just some blogger kid. He's a very well respected games journalist. Amazing how myopic these people are. And how the industry's concern apparently is and remains finding markets. They will even produce Meaningful Games if that's what it takes to make money.  Grin
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »

We're trying with the next Splinter Cell that we're developing at Ubisoft to try to have some statements about certain things built in there,"
Huh Shocked Roll Eyes
Because that is how you do it...

and has a bit more depth for those who care to pay more attention to that. I think we can deliver those things in a way that the people who don't care won't notice.
Yeah, lets just put that depth as side thing, that works fine Tongue

Well, this just makes me more sure that I will never ever join a big game company if things turn to worse for FG.

Also this makes me kind of inspired. It would be so great to put out something that obviously show how shallow other games are. Not that any of these people quoted in the article would notice/care, but just for personal pleasure Smiley
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »

I have a number of problems with the entire article and assumptions on all sides. There seems to be an assumption that politics = depth. It assumes the Occupy Movement wasn't stupid or that the Arab Spring actually accomplished anything. The quote about young people being "spiritual" assumes that trait is a positive thing.

As for finding markets, we all have to make a living. The important issue is what you are willing to do to get your next meal; balancing quality of life, needs and wants.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:44:25 PM by ghostwheel » Logged

Irony is for cowards.
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:52:40 PM »

21-year old employee who no longer wanted to make video games

this sounds kind of strange... at what age did he start working for ubisoft??
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »

21-year old employee who no longer wanted to make video games

this sounds kind of strange... at what age did he start working for ubisoft??

Child labor!  Angry
Jeroen D. Stout

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »

politics = depth

ignorance = strength!
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 04:42:47 AM »

The first 2/3s of it sounds pretty much like the talk around here. I find that kind of exciting. The mainstream is starting to have the same opinion of videogames. Around the "fun factor" part seems to be where things start falling apart for me.

I love the first comment:
Assassin's Creed 3's Collector's Edition was revealed today, and it already has two advertisements for DLC, and the game doesn't come out for months. Ubisoft leads the way in ineffective, offensive DRM. Occupy is about the fact that we don't have any damn money, because people have been ripped off and disadvantaged at an institutional level.

To me, acknowledging that reality in a way that young people care about would look more like having progressive pricing systems...

That is absolutely absurd. DLC is a progressive pricing system. These people just don't realize that instead of flat prices going up along with the budgets, the developers have instituted progressive pricing.

I think I'm with Anna; videogames are just huge, which makes them stuck.

Yeah, lets just put that depth as side thing, that works fine Tongue

Ha! And that's why they'll remain stuck for a while.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: