Notgames Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:05:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maya Deren and notgames  (Read 5437 times)
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »

I do not know if anyone is familiar with the film work of Maya Deren. I just discovered her work recently, and I watch a lot of films and read some stuff on film, but somehow I did not notice her work. So it might be new to you as well.

This is her most known work: Meshes Of The Afternoon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9NM-bOl4b8

When you watch this, you might notice the influence she might have had on David Lynch. And this short film was made in 1943! I would say that she was 40-50 years ahead of her time. She gained some recognition, but she did not break through. So she made her films for a fairly small audience and circle. The thing is that her studies and work prepared the ground for what was going to happen in film far in the future. I would say this defines the term "avantgarde".

I don't expect to get rich with my work or to even get some sustainable income from it. But that's okay. Most creative people can't live from their work, so they take jobs and lose a lot of time (that's actually not okay).

Of course, we all strife for recognition and widespread recognition, but without compromising our work. Sometimes you have to admit, that what you are doing is not for your own generation, but might get recognized later down the road and might have some influence on other creators.

And let's not start to talk about Hollis Frampton (at least not now, maybe later).

So enjoy the film, and let us strife for truth and meaning in our work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:24:54 PM by György Dudas » Logged
troshinsky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

Very beautiful film.

I remember seeing a film by her some years ago but this one is much more interesting.
Somehow it makes me think of the Quay Brother´s films, although I don´t remember them ever saying she was an influence in their work.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »

I quite like Meshes of the Afternoon. Though I originally watched it with the resoundtrack by Dr.dts, which I actually prefer (perhaps because of the mysticism, perhaps since it feels like something Edward Artemiev would do*, or perhaps just because it's the version I watched first).

*even though it's very different in structure.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:05:44 PM by Chainsawkitten » Logged
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »

It is absolutely incredible to think that this was made in 1943. Thank you so much for sharing, it's very inspiring. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: