Notgames Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:53:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What have you been playing?  (Read 5824 times)
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »

I have been playing Fallout 3. And I'm enjoying the hell out of it! It may be little more than Oblivion with guns but I think it's a lot more fun. Exploring the post-apocalyptic setting is cool. Additionally, I get a kick out of the energy weapons. Disintegrating my enemies into a pile of smoldering ash always puts a smile on my face. Cheesy

What have you all been playing lately?

Irony is for cowards.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »

I found Fallout 3 to be really... boring. Brown, repetetive environments that look exactly the same toppled with storylines and quests that I really don't care about. I like post-apocalyptic landscapes, but of the lush, vibrant style (ala Stalker or Fragile Dreams), not the brown mud style (ala every modern game).

As for me, I've been playing far too much Starcraft II. Mostly because I have a lot of friends who play it and because having a game in common with my father is quite interesting. (He only ever plays RTSs, which I mostly find boring but Starcraft's ok.) I've also learned that achievements are evil but irresistible.

I've also been playing Eufloria. The initial levels were great. A really calm and relaxing experience. But now things are getting hard and it feels conflicting. On one side I've got tough, stressing gameplay with lots of difficult decisions and on the other side I've got calm, relaxing music and graphics telling me to slow down.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:17:57 PM by Chainsawkitten » Logged
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »

Fallout 3 is no S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I find it enjoyable. However S.T.A.L.K.E.R. doesn't make the immersion breaking mistakes F3 does, it's also more attractive.

I haven't gotten really deep into Eufloria. I approach it like a casual game. I do find it relaxing. I heard a more recent patch they made the game faster and more difficult, though you can set it to the old version. I certain felt the way you do with Eufloria about Osmos. Chilled out music visuals but seriously intense gameplay. I like Osmos but wish it had a casual mode of some sort.

Irony is for cowards.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »

Fallout 3 is no S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I find it enjoyable. However S.T.A.L.K.E.R. doesn't make the immersion breaking mistakes F3 does, it's also more attractive.
I was referring to the movie Stalker moreso than the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R., though the game would also be an example of the kind of environment i prefer (though not as much as the movie).

I haven't gotten really deep into Eufloria. I approach it like a casual game. I do find it relaxing. I heard a more recent patch they made the game faster and more difficult, though you can set it to the old version.
Perhaps that's why. I'll see if I can do that. (Or perhaps I just suck.)

Edit: Ok, so took another shot at Eufloria. Turns out it was just me who sucked. I did much better now.

I've also been playing Picross 3D, which is quite a charming puzzle game. It's essentially nonograms in 3D. However, it does the thing I hate most in puzzle games: it has a timer. I want puzzle games to be thoughtful and relaxing, not stressful.

On recommendation of some random Internet-acquaintance I've been playing 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. It pisses me off to no end with all its pure and utter bullshit (that it somehow tries to pass off as science), bland characters and ridiculous story.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:42:11 PM by Chainsawkitten » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: