Notgames Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Future of Art  (Read 6346 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:55:59 AM »

"an immediated autodocumentary":
http://www.emergence.cc/2011/02/the-future-of-art/

What are the defining aesthetics of art in the networked era? How is mass collaboration changing notions of ownership in art? How does micropatronage change the way artists produce and distribute artwork? The Future of Art begins a conversation on these topics and invites your participation.

I can't decide whether its me who is incredibly old fashioned, or the people in this video.

I guess the problem is that they focus on the tradition of fine art, which I think is, well, dead.
Also, their use of technology is quite unsophisticated and primitive.
For example: they think computers are fast...
All this tinkering with machines is probably fun for the people doing it. But it feels so empty.
Also, it seems like they are only (re-)creating old things through new technology.

It's like Fluxus with wires. Hippies!
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »

For example: they think computers are fast...
(Not having viewed the video.) Well, duh... Computers are insanely fast at what they do, but they only do one thing (not technically correct, they do a number of things, but still a very small number).
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:11:54 PM »

Computers don't render my games fast enough. That's all I care about.
This is actually a huge thing. Because the slowness of computers makes it impossible to create anything sophisticated without the help of specialized programmers. Probably three quarters of my time is spent working around the fact that the computer is too slow to run the structures that I come up with spontaneously. And without spontaneity, the chances of creating something interesting are hugely compromised.
Anyway, anyone who says computers are fast is either not a very ambitious person in terms of creativity or a highly skilled engineer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:13:28 PM by Michaël Samyn » Logged
Jeroen D. Stout

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »

The problem with the people in this video is quite simply that they have all these tools to help them express themselves but I cannot for the life of me figure out what they have that is worth expressing. They seem to be in this perpetual state of doing.

They seem to be the electronic artist version of people who suddenly are 'in a band'.

It probably is good to be old fashioned - or to be terribly new. It is being contemporary which brings forth this sheer 'expressism' nonsense.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »

The problem with the people in this video is quite simply that they have all these tools to help them express themselves but I cannot for the life of me figure out what they have that is worth expressing. They seem to be in this perpetual state of doing.

They seem to be the electronic artist version of people who suddenly are 'in a band'.

True. But apparently New Media Artists are struggling to be able to remain in that position, against the object-based world of fine arts with its galleries and art fairs.
I'm reading an article about this by Domenico Quaranta

We've experienced some of this ourselves, first hand, when we were internet artists confronted with the interest of real-world museums. We resisted most of their attention (we famously refused to be included in the Whitney Biennial e.g.) but many of our colleagues did not. They started making prints or other types of objects that "fit in". So I can sympathize with a certain struggle for emancipation of a new artistic practice.

That being said, I agree with you completely: many of our artistic friends who use technology in their practice, are stuck in a perpetual state of "playing". There's a constant stream of workshops, festivals and other events to keep these people's minds off the realization that they are actually not creating anything. Which I think is a pity because many of these people really are very talented. They simply choose not to devote this talent to make something beautiful and meaningful. Which again, to some extent, I find it difficult to blame them for. Because dealing with beauty and meaning more or less equates suicide in contemporary fine art. Which leads me to my current pet peeve that the current fine arts are irrelevant, that as artists we need to situate ourselves alongside the wide range of imagery and stimulation offered by cinema, books, internet, advertising, games, etc. Let's not retreat into a little corner with perfect conditions for appreciation, let's step out there, in the light, where people cannot deny our existence; so that it becomes their own responsibility to reject art from their lives.

It probably is good to be old fashioned - or to be terribly new. It is being contemporary which brings forth this sheer 'expressism' nonsense.

Haha. Time may be somewhat stretchable. But we all live together in this precise same moment. It's kind of beautiful, too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:20:17 AM by Michaël Samyn » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: