Notgames Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:51:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amnesia finalist in IGF in three categories!  (Read 7721 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »

Congratulations to Thomas for three nominations in the Independent Games Festival. Next to the honorable mention in a fourth. Looks like there will be a little Notgames island in the IGF booth this year! Smiley
Jeroen D. Stout

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:09:58 AM »

Congratulations to you again, Thomas. Very grand!

It makes the wait for playing it unbearable, I assure you.

Why, Michaël. Are you implying we need a flag and declare ourselves a sovereign nation on stage? Would that beat Crawford's dragon speech? Smiley
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »

Thanks!

What I like about this year is that there are so many 3D games nominated. Usually, IGF is all about 2D, with 3D being an expection. This year though, I think there is a pretty even mix of both 2D and 3D. Indie games have a sort of 2D / Retro reputation to the point of some people not caring because of that (and thus making it harder to get media attention). So hopefully this sort of mix will help people change attitude.

Almost all finalists are already available this year too, which is both nice and a bit boring. I kinda like IGF for showing of interesting unreleased games, but it is very nice to be able play all.

Speaking of unreleased games, whatever happened to "Trauma"?
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »

Why, Michaël. Are you implying we need a flag and declare ourselves a sovereign nation on stage? Would that beat Crawford's dragon speech? Smiley

Haha. Given the ineffectiveness of Mr Crawford's strategies, I suggest we use different methods. I think we're doing fine already.

Makes we wish I could attend too!
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:11:41 AM »

What I like about this year is that there are so many 3D games nominated.

True. I've long complained about that too. But a change may be coming at last! Computer-related things evolve very slowly...

Speaking of unreleased games, whatever happened to "Trauma"?

Beta-testing it as we speak! Smiley
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »

Beta-testing it as we speak! Smiley
Very glad to hear that!

Haha. Given the ineffectiveness of Mr Crawford's strategies, I suggest we use different methods. I think we're doing fine already.
Speeches and the like only go so far. What is required is some sort of action. I think there has already been provided with plenty of examples that games without or with very little game-like elements can be financially successful and engaging. So yeah I agree: It is just a matter of keeping it all up.

I am thinking a bit about what can be done at GDC, as notgames usually does not play that well in expo like environments. We have nothing new to show up this year, but for expos later this year or next, would be nice to show off how our new game differs from normal. Would have been nice to surprise unsuspecting journalists into feeling "I did not know that could be done in a game!". I am thinking something along the lines of the orginal Half-life, where the game started with you talking to people, something unheard of in FPS games at the time.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »

What is required is some sort of action. I think there has already been provided with plenty of examples that games without or with very little game-like elements can be financially successful and engaging. So yeah I agree: It is just a matter of keeping it all up.

The upcoming Notgames Sampler could help in this respect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: