Notgames Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Art History of Games presentation video on line  (Read 10687 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »

Our presentation at the Art History of Games symposium, entitled Over Games, can now be seen here. Links to video are at the bottom of the page.
Kjell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »

Bravo! So .. when is the next competition Wink
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »

Now. You win! Wink
Henrik Flink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 04:18:21 AM »

All the other videos from Art History of Games kand be found here http://smartech.gatech.edu/handle/1853/33113/browse?type=dateissued&sort_by=2&order=ASC&rpp=20&etal=0&submit_browse=Update

Also, i love your mustasch Michaël!

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:16:22 AM »

Also, i love your mustasch Michaël!

Haha. Thanks. It's a bit thinner now than back then.
Erik Svedäng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »

Yay, I'm gonna watch all the presentations Smiley Internet is so great sometimes!
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »

Internet is so great sometimes!

Yes: sometimes.
Not always. Roll Eyes
Erik Svedäng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:05:31 PM »

Mm :/

Well, to think positively: that thread works totally in the favor of you since they are complete morons Smiley It's tiresome to take all the beating tho, I can imagine.

Also watched the videos from your talk and Frank Lantz's. I already knew what you were gonna say but Frank's was more of a surprise. He obviously has a bunch of interesting points I think, but he also cleverly sidestepped a lot of the problematic stuff. Oops, gotta eat.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »

Yeah, we tend to agree with most of what Frank Lantz says. Smiley We've interviewed him once.
He is also advocating a separation between videogames as games and videogames as medium. He wants people to explore the game-like aspects of the technology more thoroughly and we want to see more exploration of the technology as a medium. I don't agree with him when he seems to claim that Nabokov's butterfly collecting is more significant than his literary work. But I really appreciate and admire that Mr Lantz has such a passion and strong belief in this. Like us, he wants to see things moving. (Unlike the people on Tigsource, who seem to be advocating stagnation.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:16:21 PM by Michaël Samyn » Logged
QXD-me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »

I haven't watched the video (my internet doesn't seem up to it at the moment), but I read the slides and stuff and it seemed like a very interesting presentation. I don't see why some people can't accept that not everyone agrees with them and then, instead of actually discussing the real issues, just quibble minor details like an 11 year old who wants to seem superior to everyone else, despite lacking any semblence of critical analysis.

(As much as I'd like to argue those two morons in the TIGSource thread to the ground, I don't think it'd be worth it. They're far too childish to ever admit that something they've said could possibly be anything but the gospel truth.)

EDIT: I just finished watching the video, and it was very good. I think it clarifies a lot which wasn't as clear on your website.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:23:14 PM by QXD-me » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: