Notgames Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:27:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Both AAA games and social games have no soul  (Read 6567 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:44:52 AM »

Leigh Alexander points out the absurdity of the rivalry between AAA games developers and social games developers and demonstrates how similar they are. And how they both lack soul.

Reminded me of a blog post I made two years ago (when social games were still called casual games).

Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »

Leigh's article was quite nice, and had not seen your blog before. Nicely written too!

It is quite fun, how people can look down on "casual" games when their own games is just as "soulless". It almost feels like the rise of facebook games and similar show the hardcore videogames their true face. And they are now kicking back, trying to protect their worldview of them as the "true" usage of the medium.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:02:18 PM »

There's a saying in Dutch: "When two dogs fight over a bone, a third dogs takes it and runs away." Maybe Notgames can be that "third dog"! Smiley
QXD-me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »

I think social games are easier to accuse of not having soul because the game world is so abstracted (I mean that you seem very far away from the worlds surface). You're interactions are limited to clicking buttons and I think lack of animation makes them seem almost 'too static' to be alive (note: I don't play any social games so this may not even be the case). Although often maistream videogames of yore were like this too so it seems weird that the divide exists.

Obviously most AAA titles aren't much better, either lacking a coherent design or being a derrivative of what's been done many times before, thanks to being made by so many people. It's like someone's taken a huge scoop out of the general ideas of the masses and dolloped it up onto a plate. It's all a bit too 'meh' and impersonal to be interesting (with some exceptions).
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »

Obviously most AAA titles aren't much better, either lacking a coherent design or being a derrivative of what's been done many times before, thanks to being made by so many people. It's like someone's taken a huge scoop out of the general ideas of the masses and dolloped it up onto a plate. It's all a bit too 'meh' and impersonal to be interesting (with some exceptions).

It sounds like you are describing gruel.  AAA games are gruel. Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: