Notgames Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:28:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra Credits on non combat games  (Read 9590 times)
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:51:03 PM »

When was the last time you invited over a friend for dinner in a game?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2633-Non-Combat-Gaming

It starts out pretty good, but then sort of ends up in the fallacy of forcing boring standard game-mechanics, thinking that is some sort of solution. But that might be because it is a gamer crowd. Still, fun to see it brought up at all.

Btw, has anyone tried Echo Bazaar? I have only seen that Emily Short has written about, but never really gotten interested (or checked what it was a about to be honest). But now I am bit intrigued.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »

Extra Credits occassionally have some nice things to say, even if it is a very gamer-centered show.

It would indeed be nice to abandon many (or all) standard game-mechanics, but if I had to choose between the current situation in gaming or "standard game-mechanics used for other things than just combat" I'd choose the latter without hesitation. (I'm not saying there aren't such games, they just seem to be in minority.)

I think that even if it's not where I'd like to end up (or what I'd personally want to do), it's a step in the right direction simply by allowing other topics than mindless violence to be explored.

(Off-topic) Anecdote/blabbering:
Constantly when viewing my small "game"-projects, classmates and others started asking what kind of enemies there'd be and what you were supposed to do. Upon learning that I didn't intend there to be any fighting they'd all go "Well, that's not much fun.".
That's when I stopped using the word "game" and started using "interactive painting" instead.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:47:27 PM by Chainsawkitten » Logged
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »

It would indeed be nice to abandon many (or all) standard game-mechanics, but if I had to choose between the current situation in gaming or "standard game-mechanics used for other things than just combat" I'd choose the latter without hesitation.
Agreed!

Constantly when viewing my small "game"-projects, classmates and others started asking what kind of enemies there'd be and what you were supposed to do. Upon learning that I didn't intend there to be any fighting they'd all go "Well, that's not much fun.".
That's when I stopped using the word "game" and started using "interactive painting" instead.
While I would like to see the average persons idea of what a videogame can be like, I think it is very important to explain to people how to experience it. If players just go into it like a normal game, they will not get it. But saying that they should see it as an "interactive painting" (or what ever fits), will make them enjoy it a lot more. Fpr example, I think having the "do not try to win"-text before Amnesia started helped a lot.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:00:02 AM »

It would indeed be nice to abandon many (or all) standard game-mechanics, but if I had to choose between the current situation in gaming or "standard game-mechanics used for other things than just combat" I'd choose the latter without hesitation.

I haven't watched the video yet. But I feel "standard game mechanics" are also completely inadequate at portraying violence. Playing games usually feels more like a cartoon than actual or even exaggerated (cinematic) violence.

Anyway, I too would prefer more non-combat games (that aren't trite).
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:01:55 AM »

But saying that they should see it as an "interactive painting" (or what ever fits), will make them enjoy it a lot more.

That's true. Nerds are a really great audience for this. They believe in words.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »

Btw, has anyone tried Echo Bazaar?

What's up with the Facebook/Twitter connection? Will Echo Bazaar automatically post to my Facebook Wall or Twitter feed? If so, I'm not playing it. That's just plain rude.
I guess I can make a fake account for the occasion. But is it worth the trouble?
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:52:10 AM »

That's what put me off it as well. I'm not very interested in allowing things to be posted on my Facebook since I find similar things taking up my wall very annoying myself, and I don't have a Twitter.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:41:05 AM »

What's up with the Facebook/Twitter connection? Will Echo Bazaar automatically post to my Facebook Wall or Twitter feed? If so, I'm not playing it. That's just plain rude.
I guess I can make a fake account for the occasion. But is it worth the trouble?

I tried to try the game last night but there was horrible delays (apparently many had become interested after Extra Credits), so I did not get far. As far as I get it, you can choose yourself if you want to post any actions on your facebook page (there seems to be a special button for that). I too hate that kind of connection and as far as I can tell (do not use FB very much) nothing was posted during my short play.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »

So been playing some echo bazaar for 20 min or so. And while I can sort of glimpse an intriguing there, it is not very enganging at the moment. There is also a big social element to it right now, for example: You can gain points by echoing (meaning it will be written on your Face book page) and similar. There is also the problem that I have limited amount of actions points per time period. So I cannot play as much as I like, but have to wait 5 min or more to get more action point. I REALLY hate that.

It is basically a card game and you can try to do different things in order to progress. It is very open and it seems like you write your own story, which is very cool in theory. You also have lots of (in theory) exciting actions, like deciphering strange signs, overhearing conversations, following strangers in dark alleys, etc. The more you play the more experience points you gain, which enable you to do complete harder tasks (as you become better at persuading, spying, etc). This kind of XP system is okay to me as long there is no grinding involved. However the presentation is very gamey, and spoils the mood quite a bit for me.

Gonna try a lil bit more, but what I have seen so far seem enough and I am not that interesting in trying out more. Think I will just try and find some of Emily Short's write ups Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: