Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:37:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For Each Our Roads of Winter  (Read 8137 times)
Orihaus

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »

'For Each Our Roads of Winter' is an episodic exploration game in which you will uncover the secrets of a past that never was. Played from a first-person perspective and tuned for Oculus Rift VR Headsets.

From the developer of 'Hunting Anubis', 'Xaxi ' and the Ludum Dare winning 'Lumiere'; inspired by the disparate worlds of Cyan Worlds ('Myst', 'Riven'), Ice Pick Lodge ('Pathologic', 'The Void'), Piranesi, Étienne-Louis Boullée, Borges, and featuring a unique real-time photorealistic visual style powered by Unreal Engine 4, combining elements from both modern photography and the works of antiquity.

> To be available for PC, Mac and Linux.
> Price and Release Date to be announced when ready!
> Currently at a Pre-Alpha stage of development.

| First Teaser Trailer : https://vimeo.com/96905708 |

Development Log: Here | Additional high-resolution images (Available for Press use): Here
A taste of the narrative: Here | My musical soundscape that I'll be putting to work for this project: Here

Credits:
-> Orihaus :: Design, Code, Writing, Modeling, Graphics, Environments | Based in New Zealand
-> threeWiseMen - Johannes Poell :: Graphic Design | Based in Austria
-> Additional Thanks to: Tumult for UE4 support.
Orihaus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »

Apologies for the presskit style first post, I have a central template that I can easily distribute around and update easily. Hopefully it gets the point across though!

Anyway, since this isn't the general public I'm more than happy to talk work in progress concepts. http://www.noctuelles.net/For-Each-Our-Roads-of-Winter-Tentative-Title-FPX/solo goes into a little more depth, though it's outdated. One thing I'd like to discuss here would be best ways to get the story across. I have a narrative world, characters and backstory almost ready to go; locations I'd like the game to follow over a 5 act structure, but as I'm not sold that architecture alone could tell the story. The more traditional ways of doing this: audio logs and character animations, I'm not sure entirely jive. Audio logs don't seem to gel well here, even though I love games that use them, and animated characters are extremely difficult and costly to do well, even though I'd have at max 15 mins of them in total, it just seems a mammoth task. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:41:08 AM by Orihaus » Logged
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:48:46 AM »

Ok I can't remember if I told you this on twitter, but this looks amazing. Great job! Smiley

I tried to spend some time looking through a couple of your links to try to give feedback on narrative world / story, but it seemed kind of cryptic. There wasn't a clear place that simply explained that stuff in plain language on a single clearly-marked page. Would you be willing to provide some more info on your narrative so I (and hopefully others) could provide better feedback?

Orihaus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:07 AM »

Thanks!

I've tried to put the story out there the way people will experience it ingame, testing the waters to see what people will intuitively get, what they won't and what they'll do research into to figure out. So yea, it's all cryptic out there right now. But essentially, the backstory is centered around the cultural conflict of three nations in an alternate, industrialised, 6th century Europe, told from the perspective of the increasingly megolomanical monuments of the crumbling Roman Republic (Still, barely). Think what newly industrialised Europe was doing with their newfound construction ability, then give that the focus on posterity of Roman monumental architecture. If you look through the screenshots, hopefully you'll notice two distinct architectural styles. I'm still working on the third, but it'll be a little harder than the other two.

Oh, and not everything on my Powerless Inquisitor twitter is Winter related. I'll be tagging further tweets, but in the meantime: https://storify.com/SeventhArrival/for-each-our-roads-of-winter-twitter-teaser-1.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: