Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:20:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey everyone!  (Read 9433 times)
Razorback

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:28:24 AM »

My favorite game of all time is The Dig by Lucasarts. I have a very hard time explaining to people why I love it so much. Most of the puzzles make very little sense, it's filled with pixel hunting and other point and click adventure game artifacts. I remember when I first played it many years ago, I was stuck on one particular puzzle for months. I didn't have access to online walkthroughs so I almost gave up on it. I did manage to finish it and I've since played through it dozens of times.

Of course now I know all the puzzle solutions so the challenge is gone. The game part of it is no longer a factor but my enjoyment of it has never declined. All I have left is the story, the setting, the music. I've often wondered if this story would have been better served as a film. But more and more I think that the answer is no. What I love most about it is to just take it all in at my own pace. To stand still and let the atmosphere wash over me.

I wanted to make experiences just like that so I started making point and clicks but I was never any good at coming up with puzzles. Even when they made sense they would be contrived and the story would suffer.

Here's an example of a never finished point and click project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFUGrvba6o&list=UUydw8nZQhYqKq7-8Qe578TQ&feature=c4-overview

But how else would I make adventure games? Without puzzles? Nonsense! That led me to start thinking about games whose mechanics were integrated into the story and themes.
I made a proof of concept video for a possible game that incorporated these ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyJt8yMXxDg&list=UUydw8nZQhYqKq7-8Qe578TQ&feature=c4-overview

I think there's a lot of potential with that design method and I really want to make this game one day but it's just not possible with the size of my team at the moment (3 including me).

There wasn't an exact moment that I can pinpoint when I started giving real thought to the idea of making a narrative heavy game with no puzzles. I think Dear Esther may have been a big influence.
Right now I'm working on such a game and I'm really glad I stumbled onto a forum like this full of like-minded people.

I've read through a few threads already and it's been a great source of inspiration.
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:38:50 AM »

One of my favorite games is The Dig, too. Welcome Smiley

The Twin Paradox video is great! Nice work, man. Some of the themes you explore are intriguing. I like how your usage of the gun makes everything darker, instead of more heroic.

I hope you release something playable, soon, whether this or another project.

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:59 AM »

Impressive work! When will we be able to play this?
Razorback

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »

Right now I'm working on a sort of prequel to Twin Paradox. It's a much smaller endeavor in comparison but it'll be a while before there's anything playable to show. It's being built with the Oculus Rift in mind. I've had my Rift dev kit for a while now and I'm super excited with the possibilities for storytelling with this thing.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 05:38:41 AM »

That Twin Paradox concept video really sucked me in! Nice work! Smiley

It would be great if you eventually get to work on this for the Oculus Rift...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: