Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Net.art  (Read 10413 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »

Back in the 1990s, there were several artists who made quite impressive work on the world wide web.
I'll try to gather their names here and provide links or illustrations where possible.

Olia Lialina
My boyfriend came back from the war

Piotr Szyhalski
Ding an sich (doesn't seem to work)

Yael Kanarek
World of Awe

Lia
http://re-move

Entropy8Zuper!
The Godlove Museum

under construction
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:38:29 PM by Michaël Samyn » Logged
Erik Loyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »

Thanks for posting this, Michaël. Ding an sich was a huge influence for me, happy to see it and the other works you cite!
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »

Do you know if there is way to get "Das ding an sich" up and running? Is there an offline version? Or a combination of browsers and plugins that still works?
Erik Loyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »

When I try to access one of the chapters of the piece and then look at the browser activity log, it appears that the Shockwave files (.dcr) themselves are missing. I'll send a note to the Walker and ask them to take a look.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:12:26 PM by Erik Loyer » Logged
increpare
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 02:17:20 AM »

I checked out some of these just there - I find them quite powerful.

'My boyfriend came back from the war' worked well for me - though it reminded me of an article once damning modern art games for their lessened emphasis on interactivity by analogy of the historical relationship between "hypertext fiction" and "interactive fiction" proper.

World of Awe looks like it'll take some time to involve myself with properly, so I'm holding that off, though I'm having a good time with the godlove museum (you and Auriea made a cameo in it I think?).

All the shitty director-age stuff don't work on macs, alas : (

With regards to stuff with this sort of feel, one site, that tragically no longer exists but that I found incredibly beautiful, was time hunt - anyone here remember it?  It was a site of puzzles made as part of an eu-funding something or other, made in coordination with various intellectuals/scholars/distinguished people, which embraced very successfully both a rich visual environment and horrifically difficult puzzles.  There was a time-limit of a year or two from when it was started - after which it vanished.

It makes me sad that there is almost no record of it anymore Sad

I can find screenshots here

Hmm.  I feel like starting a thread about puzzles now : )
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 09:03:20 AM »

though I'm having a good time with the godlove museum (you and Auriea made a cameo in it I think?).

Smiley We made the whole thing! It's even about us. About how we met and try to live together, coming from different cultures.
increpare
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »

though I'm having a good time with the godlove museum (you and Auriea made a cameo in it I think?).

Smiley We made the whole thing! It's even about us. About how we met and try to live together, coming from different cultures.
oh - I missed the credits!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: