Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:33:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lie of the Grandfather Clock  (Read 6737 times)
Jeroen D. Stout

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »

Hello, all!

Recently I was asked by Indievelopment to give a presentation, which they have (quite rapidly) put online here: http://vimeo.com/64925083

I thought I would post it here for your potential interest as it is about the following;

A ‘clock’ that forms when (often violent) high-consequence interaction is alternated with passive storytelling in the hope of making both part of the same mental space. The specifics of the types of interaction (fuzzy and linear) are discussed with their requirements and suitability for action and storytelling. However, the requirement for this clock is found to be a lie that comes from an audience demanding ‘high consequence’ interaction; we can see consequence is an illusion and acknowledge that games can offer illusions other than consequence. Indeed, we are stuck with the clock, but only while we do not ask players to treat our games differently; asking a player to treat a game like ‘acting’ or purely with ‘presence’ means we may do many things that the clock cannot.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:57:48 PM by Jeroen D. Stout » Logged
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »

thanks for sharing...! Do you smoke pipe? (I just started)
Jeroen D. Stout

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »

You are welcome Smiley

I have smoked pipe for a few years now - a lovely thing for summer afternoon reading.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:38:40 AM »

Just finished watching the talk - it was great, thanks! Cheesy

I'm tempted to try making a "shootical" now, where cutscenes are interspersed with interactive segments where everyone is singing and you shoot them. Wink

But seriously, I would really like to explore this kind of "fuzzy" interaction that can run alongside a stream of canned, linear content (like voice). And I'm very curious to see how your exploration goes!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: