Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:20:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: We Are in the Woods  (Read 21860 times)
between

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »

Hello People,

Sorry for not introducing myself yet – this will be done.

I have been following this place for a while during my time stumbling into making a game. I feel this is a good place to release it first:

We Are in the Woods
http://woods.dpupp.com

I am looking forward to being here.

Take care,
David
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

It's very dark.  Smiley
between

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »

Visually, yes it is.

I posted about my experience and thoughts from the time making it here (also regarding the darkness):
http://notgames.org/forum/index.php?topic=769.0

I wonder about peoples thoughts on its darkness 'story'wise.
Tyler Snell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »

Interesting!
You made the separation of controlled agent and camera work surprisingly well. I actually had a conversation on another forum a while back about how something like this would work, so it's cool to see someone actually do it and make it work.

I interpreted it as being either that the camera agent is hiding or needs help. So the controlled agent is either a savior or an antagonist. Made me doubt myself when I was trying to get to myself.  Smiley

I do feel like there could be some sort of semblance of something happening at the end. The fade to black was a little disappointing. I think maybe a fade to white could work better? Would make more sense with the light shining in your face at the end. Or even just if there was more of a pause before the credits come in.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »

Could you explain how to play it?
between

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »

'W' key is for walking
mouse is for looking

be a little patient, keep walking and slowly work with the mouse. you will get it, i'm sure.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »

Thanks. I will try.
I just looked like I wasn't moving forward. But now I know that I am, I'll be more patient.  Smiley
Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 12:13:32 AM »

Thank you for sharing David.

It made me think about how I give for granted that light is cast to reveal distant details. In fact I was surprised when I directed the light toward the camera and found there were bushes also near the point of view.

Maybe it was the sensation of the 4th wall abruptly shifted, you invaded the safe dark zone in front of the camera Smiley
between

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »

I interpreted it as being either that the camera agent is hiding or needs help. So the controlled agent is either a savior or an antagonist. Made me doubt myself when I was trying to get to myself.  Smiley

+

Maybe it was the sensation of the 4th wall abruptly shifted, you invaded the safe dark zone in front of the camera Smiley

thank you guys for bringing in these terms! the vocabulary of my thoughts did not contain any of savior/antagonist/4th wall. i reckon when one spends more time in games these terms become more important/natural, as they seem to describe very basic 'game'-concepts.

as for the 4th wall:
when making this i grasped the 'yourself approaching yourself' not so much in media terms (stage/gamespace?/camera) but in the very basic ways we move and act with each other out in the world.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: