Notgames Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:21:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Get This Call Everyday  (Read 5109 times)
lophiaspis

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »

This guy got fired for making a notgame about his shitty job. Has anyone been fired for making a game?

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/3/7/4071136/he-got-fired-for-making-a-game-i-get-this-call

Games like these often ignore the sort of hooks and feedback loops that game designers know so well and that deliver that intangible quality of "fun." They can sometimes feel like hard work to play.

But they exist because games are a great way to create empathy between the creator and the audience. Reading a blog post about working in a call center is not as personally affecting as pretending to be a call center worker in a staged simulation. Hearing someone tell a funny tale of the shit that call center workers deal with is not as powerful as dealing with that same shit, even in pretend form, yourself.

The game ($2)
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »

Yeah, I heard about this but haven't played the game. I have nothing else to add except that really sucks for him.

Irony is for cowards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: