Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:06:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the haters of Bientôt l'été right?  (Read 28873 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »

One thing I have been thinking about, and that might contribute to these kind of comments, is that games lack an "artsy" middle ground.

Is this because games are such an extreme format? Games are very far removed from the kind of attitude that allows people to enjoy just about any other medium. Even reading a romance novel or watching a soap opera is more similar to playing an artistic game than playing a regular game.

As a work of art, Bientôt l'été is hardly excessive. I can think of many far more challenging works in other media. Games are just so extremely different from any of those media that allow for a wider variety of experiences.

I tend to dismiss games completely as a medium. But that's not how gamers see it. Makes one wonder how they can even deal with reading a book or looking at a painting.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:40:00 AM by Michaël Samyn » Logged
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »

I dont know, you guys seem pretty quick to jump to complicated theories when maybe the answer isnt quite so complicated. I respected the game a lot, but simply found it too inaccessible. And I mean that in the sense that I needed to have read the books to find it very relevant, as opposed to an artistic or intellectual inferiority which seems to be suggested. I've watched my share of difficult arthouse films and can analyze the ideas present in the game, especially after reading your tumblr. But the game seemed to be what I think of as a "tool for reflection" to go along with the books. Since I didn't read them, I just found the experience intriguing but wasn't really moved by it.

With that said, I do really respect it since so much of the experience is meant to take place in the player.

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »

Fair enough. Objectively, I'm sure Bientôt l'été is just badly made. But it is giving  some people -many of whom haven't read Duras- some very wonderful experiences that no other piece could. So i really can't regret making it. It is made for the people who can appreciate it. And maybe the difference is simply taste,  not education.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:56:19 AM by Michaël Samyn » Logged
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 10:00:32 PM »

But the game seemed to be what I think of as a "tool for reflection" to go along with the books.

This seems likely. I haven't read the books either. I like the idea of the game as a tool. Not the reading the books is necessary, but something like that.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: