Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:54:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ahoy!  (Read 14779 times)
[Chris] Dale

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

Hey all! I'm a university student in the frozen north of the US, studying computer programming after deciding, at 10 years old, that I would make video games. Since then, my tastes and my own creative thoughts (I am too disorganized for creative outputs) have turned distinctly towards notgames. At university, I discovered the wonders of the analytical philosophy of art, and I became obsessed with aesthetics. I am starting a blog to deal with the intersection (or perhaps the union) of these interests, and while reading ToT's manifestos I found this place!

There is a bit of a hipster in me, and I was somewhat relieved when I saw the place wasn't crawling with young upstarts like me, even though I know we'd be better off if everyone came here!

"Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
--H.P. Lovecraft

Call me Dale Smiley
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »

Welcome Chris.

This place was indeed started to enable like-minded spirits to discuss things in private, far away from the hysteric children from the internet. Don't worry. It will be a long time before it becomes popular. And hopefully, this site will have become unnecessary before then.
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »

Never said hi, here, so...hi Smiley

I love your analysis of dys4ia. I don't think I buy the usage of the phrase "procedural diegesis," though. I'm trying to formulate why that is...maybe this will turn into a blog post, I dunno.

Anyway, welcome.

[Chris] Dale

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »

Thank you!

I used the term as it was the one Steve Wilcox used in his initial post on the subject; I believe he coined the term there. I didn't pause to evaluate it beyond picking up the connection to film, and as such I'd be very interested to see what your thoughts on the phrase are. I know nothing about classical diegesis, so it could be way off-base and I'd never know Smiley

Also, thanks for popping back to my blog to check it out! I'm hoping to get something out every week, so, if you continue your diligence will be rewarded...or perhaps punished!

"Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
--H.P. Lovecraft

Call me Dale Smiley
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »

Yeah, I know you weren't evaluating the term as such, you were just going with it for the time being. I do the same thing, too. ^_^

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: