Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:23:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Games for adults" by Jonas Kyratzes  (Read 9077 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »

There's a lot of interesting things mentioned and argued in this article. Sadly, at some point the writer feels the need to dismiss "European arthouse movies" as a whole in favour of Lord of the Rings. And thus shooting himself in the adult foot. But the rest is well worth the read.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »

Seems like the same conversation we've heard time and again.

You know what bothers me about the criteria of what is good and meaningful in the arts is "human experience". We are incredibly self-involved naval-gazing bunch, aren't we? There is more going on out there in the universe than us. Why is the measure of great art how "profound" a statement we make about the human condition or some such shit? How many times do we need to be reminded about the unfairness of mortality or whatever. Human relationships are often petty, boring and annoying. All the so-called important literature and movies are about petty, boring and annoying human interactions.

A common criticism of movies with heavy visual effects is "it looks great but doesn't have much depth". What's wrong with simply appreciating beautiful visuals? Isn't that art? Why do I need a "sophisticated" human story on top? How does that make the experience better or more meaningful? How is that adult?

I say give me more visuals, less people and less story. Robot had it right at the beginning, the stories will stop sucking when developers no longer feel the need to put them in. "Games" don't need stories and neither does art, to be adult.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:47:54 PM by ghostwheel » Logged

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »

For me, one of the most important aspects of art is to show people how they are beautiful. Hence the perceived pettiness, I presume.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »

For me, one of the most important aspects of art is to show people how they are beautiful. Hence the perceived pettiness, I presume.

I don't follow. How does beauty lead to petty?

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »

Maybe people leads to petty in some eyes sometimes? Not in mine. Not always.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

Maybe people leads to petty in some eyes sometimes? Not in mine. Not always.

I think my point may have been lost. I may not have communicated it properly.

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »

Damn.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: