Notgames Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:00:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: War and Peace: Regimes of Play  (Read 8372 times)
axcho

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »

Here's a new article from iHobo, about the under-explored potential of games of "Peace" (notgames):
http://blog.ihobo.com/2012/09/war-and-peace-regimes-of-play.html

As opposed to "War", "Challenge", or "Puzzle", there is "Peace", and that is where the most innovation is happening now.

Art/games since 2005 (the year of both Façade and The Endless Forest) have been experimenting with what can be offered in this space, with Dear Esther and Proteus being recent additions to the artistic exploration of the kinds of thin play only possible under a Peaceful regime. It seems far more likely that innovative play experiences will come out of this side of the regimes of play than out of the well-worn track of War, Challenge and Puzzle

It's interesting to see the many ways that traditional game design thinkers conceptualize notgames. Smiley
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »

I liked this one. It is not a complete picture (and do think it is intended to) but I think it is an interesting way to think about it.

Give us more peace games dammit! Smiley Would be interesting to just force peace games into any give genre. Like peace-rts, peace-rpg, etc. That would have been a nice challenge really.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »

I think it's amusingly skewed. Cheesy What is shoved into the corner as "Peace" seems to me much bigger than the categories of "War", "Challenge", and "Puzzle".

Would Bunni be an example of a "Peace" RTS? Tongue
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »

I think it's amusingly skewed. Cheesy What is shoved into the corner as "Peace" seems to me much bigger than the categories of "War", "Challenge", and "Puzzle".

I think Mr. Bateman would agree. I think he is only examining what is currently on offer in terms of games.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:54:11 AM »

That makes sense. I have noticed that he has a very widely encompassing view of what games are and could be. I especially appreciated his series of posts putting other game bloggers' definitions of "game" in the wider context of various "aesthetics" of gameplay.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 10:55:56 AM »

I'm reading his book Imaginary Games now. He cleverly reverses the issue of games as art by calling art a game.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: