Notgames Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:44:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha build of Bientôt l’été now available  (Read 73643 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 09:46:36 AM »

Thank you for the elaborate to do list! Grin
Other than these issues, did you enjoy (anything in) the game at all?

The lag between moving my mouse cursor and the chess piece following feels annoying

There's not supposed to be any lag!
How high would you judge your framerate? What CPU and GPU do you have in that computer?

The transition to text (instant cut to black screen with text) feels jarring, and then it goes away too fast, before I've registered what has happened.

It's my tribute to Nouvelle Vague. Sorry.  Smiley

Holding down the right mouse button while moving the mouse and then clicking the left mouse button without letting go of the right mouse button is uncomfortable for me

You actually can let go of the right mouse button as soon as the cursor is over an on screen button.

The hard edge on my "eyelids" as I close my eyes feels weird (doesn't feel like closing my eyes). I'd prefer to see a blurred edge (and rounded, concave) to feel more like eyelids.

I prefer to keep this more abstract.

I was disappointed in how similar the woman's clothing is to the man - they seemed interchangeable, when I was expecting a different style, and maybe dark colors, for the woman.

I'm not a fashion expert, but according to me the style of their clothing is completely different! The color is the same, yes. The same as the color of the beach and the building.

I often found myself clicking on an object to walk toward it, only to find that since the thing I clicked on wasn't walkable, the game ignored my click. I would prefer if then my avatar would walk as close as possible to the object instead of ignoring the click completely.

You're right. I need to fix that.

Pressing the scroll wheel only closed my eyes - I was unable to run. Maybe a double-click could be a run action?

Thanks for mentioning this. I admit I haven't tested this. My trackball doesn't use a scrollwheel. What platform were you playing on? What brand of mouse were you using? Does the scroll button work as a middle mouse button in other applications on that computer?
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »

I liked it when the surf came up to my avatar's feet.

I tested on Windows 7, and the scroll wheel is clickable in other applications (like Firefox). It has a 2.6 GHz processor, 8 GB of RAM, and I don't know how to check the GPU.

I won't be offended if you choose not to address my feedback. Do what you will. I hope other people are able to appreciate it better.
vorvox

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »

I'd like to say that I really like it. I feel like the minimalist atmosphere of the beach contrasts nicely with the dialogue of the cafe. I love the idea of it, that you have to communicate using someone else's words, and you must use your imagination to figure out what's going on, the subtext, and when we're done you must go and ponder and receive inspiration from the ocean.
I only realized it was a holodeck after reading your description of it on the blog. I thought it was just a sort of self-awareness of the program's videogame-nature, and I think I like it to be vague. There doesn't need to be another level of make-believe, you're already in that future, using that holodeck.
I really like the chess-board, although I've had trouble with lifting the chess piece only to find that none of the options suits me. I'd rather have a drink than just put down the piece. Although I suppose it doesn't matter too much -- lifting the chess piece is an action.
I have mixed feelings about the switch to mouse control. On one hand, it feels less like I'm steering him around, it feels more organic. On the other hand, I feel more distanced from the avatar, and I think that he walks too quickly. The latter is probably a technical issue that needs to be worked out. As for the distance, it might be mitigated if I didn't have to point to an area of the ground -- if I'd just click, and he'd simply move forward if my mousebutton were held down.

Smaller thoughts:
I feel like the expanded number of potential lines of dialogue in the 2nd alpha could be pruned a bit.
The music is wonderful, reminds me of the Void soundtrack.
I can see some artifacts, the edges of a rectangle, in the surf waves, which annoys me.

I'll probably think of more later, and as I play the game more.
So far, I really like it.   
vorvox

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »

Another thing:
The phrases come in on the waves too frequently. I think they should come in more sparsely, like every 5th wave or something randomized. It feels too rapid-fire, walking along the beach and collecting phrase after phrase.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

You're right: for me, too, the holodeck and the videogame are one. The cyberspace in the game is representation of or a reference to the "actual" cyberspace of the networked computer. And outer space functions as a metaphor for the internet. Though the internet could also be a metaphor for human relationships.

The keyboard controls will remain part of the game. So you can always use those if you prefer. Holding down the mouse button to walk is an interesting idea. I might try that.
Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 11:57:09 PM »

And somehow it was an oddly intimate experience - it felt like we talked (in a very abstract way, of course) about things we wouldn't have been able to talk about outside Bientot, or at least not with the same degree of honesty. It was like a masquerade that, paradoxically, allowed us to be extremely truthful. Or maybe it was like a mediator?

I find this is one of the most interesting (and for me more important) aspects of the game, also something I wouldn't have expected reading the description of the gameplay!
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »

How would one describe such a thing?

I often refer to our games as tools for self-exploration. But that sounds very vague and dry and presumptuous.
Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »

I often refer to our games as tools for self-exploration. But that sounds very vague and dry and presumptuous.

Yes, it's seems to fall into the category of things only others are allowed to say about your work.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 08:00:21 AM »

Alpha version 3 of Bientôt l'été has been released. If you'd like a free copy, please let me know.

As always, I'd love to hear your comments!

Here's a summary of the major changes since the previous release.
vorvox

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »

Wonderful! I was ridiculously excited when I heard there was a new alpha. All the graphical additions are excellent, and I especially like the 'clouds' when you're in the cafe. The bench at the end of the world is also a bit mindblowing. The blur effect and the increased (I think) usage of bloom lighting makes things more intense and dreamlike, so I like this. The wet area of the sand on the beach seems to receed now, although this might be a side-effect of the bright sand; in any case, I like it. Also happy to see splashes, although they could definitely be more substantial. The blur effect is great, and also makes it look like wind is blowing the surf. I feel like there are more phrases in this version, which seemed to even out the tone. Previously, the conversations felt a bit more hostile to me, more like a breakup or misunderstanding. There's more happiness now. Of course, that may just be an anomaly, but I like it. I'll have to post more of my thoughts on the new version after I've played it a bit more.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »

Thank you. Good to hear. I'm so happy that we decided to pre-release the game. I feel it has become much better thanks to input like yours.

Yes, the tone of the conversation really depends. And things are not necessarily what they seem or sound like. A bit of imagination helps. Wink

Also, the phrases are grouped loosely in chapters that each have their own atmosphere, from early desire, over boredom, to despair.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »

I had a dream last night where I was watching an unfinished behind-the-scenes documentary about the making of a French-themed notgame designed by Raph Koster. Tongue
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »

I had a dream last night where I was watching an unfinished behind-the-scenes documentary about the making of a French-themed notgame designed by Raph Koster. Tongue

Nightmare!  Grin
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 05:07:06 AM »

I just played the latest Alpha (version 3) and I had a much more compelling experience this time. No rough edges distracted me, and I felt like I was playing and thinking the way I was "supposed" to. I'm guessing it would also be a lot more interesting with a real human to play with, instead of just a simulation.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »

Nice to hear.
Yes, a real human would more exciting, I think. Even playing with yourself in two windows is more fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: