Notgames Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:01:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha build of Bientôt l’été now available  (Read 73591 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »

Thank you for reporting on this. How do you connect the PS2 gamepad to your PC? Through some kind of adapter? Is there anything you can change in the Input Configuration of the game that fixes this? (I'm guessing that the PS2's horizontal axis has a different number than on the joysticks I have developed with -XBox 360, Logitech Rumblepad).

I have no idea how to use the data in those crash reports. But thank you for describing the circumstances of the crash. So it happened as the game was loading the interior scene? When it crashes, it always crashes there for me too (on Windows only, it doesn't crash on Mac). I have already managed to reduce the crash frequency but I'll look at this some more.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »

Changing the Input Configuration fixed it (I'm guessing one of the buttons must have been interpreted as an axis).

Yes, it happened while the interior scene was loading, and I am indeed using Windows (7).

I looked through the output_log.txt and I can see several InvalidOperationExceptions due to modifying a Collection as it's being iterated over:

InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[Antares.Vizio.Blocks.UniversalReceiveMessage].VerifyState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1+Enumerator[Antares.Vizio.Blocks.UniversalReceiveMessage].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Antares.Vizio.Runtime.MessageManager.SendMessage (UnityEngine.Object receiver, System.String messageName, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Antares.Vizio.Blocks.UniversalSendMessageToReceiver.In () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Antares.Vizio.Runtime.Trigger.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Antares.Vizio.Runtime.TriggerLink.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at VizioComponent+<WaitForSeconds>d__10.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I don't know if it has anything to do with the crash (the exceptions themselves did not cause any crashes).
Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »

Wow, playing with a real person on the "other side" felt more intense than expected!

During the simulation wine and cigarettes seemed mostly cosmetic to me, but yesterday they ended up being an essential part of the experience.

...also I feel the need to buy filter-less Gauloises Smiley
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 12:41:24 AM »

Speaking of a filter-less, it'd be great to have some kind of setting to tone down the glow. My retinas... Tongue

Noumenon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »

After dipping my toes in the water alone occasionally I connected during the last pre-arranged period and actually conversed with a person. At least, I assumed so because there was a definite aspect of themed response to my move-speech acts; unfortunately I had not collected sufficient phrases in the Beta to be a very dynamic conversational companion, so after a glass of wine I rather undermined the whole experience by running up and down the beach like a five-year-old until I had a bunch of things to say... and didn't find anyone to talk to when I got back.  Sad

I don't think I've given feedback before, but my general reaction is that this is a really nice experience. My girlfriend was looking over my shoulder and even at this extra remove she complained far less than she usually does when I'm gaming; and when I'm non-gaming - she had no patience with Dinner Date at all, and quickly did other things while I was soaking up Dear Esther. I think she liked it, in fact.

I found it odd that there was no apparent visual difference between a simulation player and a real one. Having the simulated partner be clearly simulated is logical but I guess I wonder why, being able to create such a vivid and pseudo-real environment, my long-anticipated encounter with another person would be realised via the same trappings of artificiality. It was obvious once my player-partner began to interact that this was what it was, but then I remembered that when I stand at the edge of the holodeck what I saw was another person, physical, not a holo-figure, so there is a precedent set in the game for seeing a "real" person (I assume I'm not describing a fault, but whichever gender I picked for myself my "reflection" was the other - hence my assumption that this was intended to be me "seeing" through the glass wall to another holodeck with another user).

I also spotted that, when my partner smoked a cigarette, the exhale appeared to come from ME, not from THEM. Not exactly disorienting, but odd - more so when I note that, while they are a holo-smoker and they smoke a holo-cigarette, the smoke they produce is just as cloudy-grey as my own; perhaps two layers of smoke could be generated, one with the blue-y tones of the simulation.

I had one instance of the game crashing (the same as mentioned by someone else above); I can dig up the report if you would find it useful. Only one though. While playing the Alpha build there were a few moments in which the avatar glitched. It was when standing/turning on the walkway above the beach (I think); the avatar's foot clung to the surface, twisting in a rather painful-looking manner... Not sure if this is still an issue with the Beta, I'll see if I can make it happen again the next time I play.

A final observation. I think someone else has mentioned this but when I went out, desperate to find new phrases, I activated the visions immediately and at long-distance. Then I didn't mind because time was a factor, but in general I feel the game loses something with this being possible. The most satisfying aspect so far is the sedate pace of walking the beach; the addition of these new features means a hint of anticipation is added to this experience through the "laborious" process of slowly approaching (or of running, eyes closed), watching the thing grow in ones perception, etc.; however, because the new object fades away as the piece is retrieved, that opportunity is quickly lost. I would make some degree of proximity required before the object (and maybe the hotel) can be "clicked".

That said, I find the whole experience strangely satisfying. And if you want two words for the poster quote, I'd make it those...
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »

Thank you for the report! You're right about the holo-smoke. Might look interesting.

Glad to hear the game is at least tolerated by your girlfriend. But please do make her play. We are very interested in how no-gamers respond to our work.

I will quote your "strangely satisfying" !
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: