Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Evangelion 2.0 premiere in UK  (Read 8729 times)
Kaworu Nagisa

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2010, 02:55:30 AM »

Not sure if any of you lives in UK.
But it is a great opportunity to bring this cute little depressive thingy anyway  Kiss

Premiere at Glasgow Film Festival (Feb 15th 2010, Monday)
http://www.glasgowfilmfestival.org.uk/films/381

Actually, they are going to play two Evangelion movies there: 1.0 You are (not) alone and 2.0 You can (not) advance from tetralogy called "Rebuild of Evangelion" which in fact is a redone version of 1995 tv series known as "Shin Seiki Evangelion" (Neon Genesis Evangelion).

Trailer to new movies (2.0) is fulfilled with SFX which gives little to no feeling about who Evangelion hides under the facade of another story of big robots so here is the promo for previous movie (1.0): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSv7jpTT-dA
And wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebuild_of_Evangelion

Evangelion is critically acclaimed animation that was suppose to change the Japanese animation industry but all it has changed were people like me  Cheesy. People usually either love it or hate it. Call it very true or depressing. Some say that it became famous because of psychological analysis of characters not seen before neither in animation nor live-action movies. This, plus unique use of classical music pieces in several episodes and theatrical movies.
Very emotional, sometimes psychodelical and gory, mysterious (inspired by UK 60s tv series "The Prisoner" that also served as inspiration for American "LOST" tv series) and unique. Written and directed by Hideaki Anno shortly after his 4-years long depression.

I believe Evangelion (right along with several other titles such as Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, Nausicaa or Lion King) to be something that didn't yet appear in games. Unique, fresh and personal, simply different.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:00:01 AM by Kaworu Nagisa » Logged

The world needs organization ^_^
fallen.leaves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:38:23 AM »

Damn, didn't expect to find Eva on this forum xD
Ah, Evangelion! I have to admit it's one of my fascinations despite it having clichés all over. Its psychological dimension was very realistic as well as charming! And some scenes in the series were almost done in an experimental fashion. Gotta love those.

What do you mean by something that didn't yet appear in games, btw? I'm a bit confused by this line...
Kaworu Nagisa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »

What do you mean by something that didn't yet appear in games, btw? I'm a bit confused by this line...

You have pretty much answered yourself saying "Its psychological dimension was very realistic as well as charming! And some scenes in the series were almost done in an experimental fashion".

As far as I know no one even tried to do just this one thing in interactive medium. I kinda doubt if anyone ever thought of that but that I cannot check. And it's just one of Evangelion's ingredients. Symbolism, exotic theme (Christianity), big robots (something very common, yet Evangelion uses this element of the plot to tell something different) and finally complex plot fulfilled with mysteries. It's a extremely successful mainstream title, yet it is something that cannot be understood and has been released as "for your interpretation" thing which (ironically as it was TV Tokyo for-kids animation) puts it closer to art than to commerce. I'm finding myself comfortable with term "popcultural art", tbh.

Kaworu Nagisa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:07:18 PM »

I've seen it, uahah! Not an experience of my life but being able to see how one story is turned 180 degrees, upside down after 15 years is something special.

Perhaps most controversial song that appeared in the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxIEQ6lrNs&feature=related

Movie should be out on DVD somewhere this summer I think, so I encourage you to give it a try once it gets out Smiley

fallen.leaves

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »

You have pretty much answered yourself saying "Its psychological dimension was very realistic as well as charming! And some scenes in the series were almost done in an experimental fashion".

Oops, seems I have xD Actually, I think The Path managed to do that in a way. And Team ICO. Definitely what I'd call unique, fresh and personal.
And since this topic is about a Hideaki Anno's movie, maybe you'd be interested in watching Shiki-Jutsu? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32WdNraeZwE Haven't done it yet myself, but darn, it does look interesting.
Kaworu Nagisa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 07:46:55 PM »

I've seen it soon after it was released. Perhaps the most difficult and deep movie of Hideaki Anno ever. Worth watching but be warned that it is nothing less but a live action equivalent of "End of Evangelion" without complex plot and 60 metre Evangelions. It's all about humans here, and it is difficult and real.

Derrick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »

Ohhh you are so lucky, I live in the US and don't think they'd be premiering it here anywhere... I'd love to see it on a big screen.

Time will always be the thing that kills me, truly
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: