Notgames Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:36:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 -- too massive?  (Read 10858 times)
AADA7A

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »

For me, this game has too many different missions stacked on top of each other. I'm having around 20 right now active, cluttering my journal, making it hard to get head or tail from it. Add to this that the info on the different missions have become more streamlined than before, meaning that there is less info on the missions, and only on the current part of the mission. On some missions, the journal doesn't even register progress until you complete the whole mission. Now, streamlining sounds good, less complications, but in this particular topic, it confuses me very much and makes me get less out of the experience. Yet I feel inclined to activate these missions (by approaching npcs standing around, most of the time), because I have this compulsive feeling of wanting to do it, and because I'm afraid of missing out on something. The mission hub (citadel) throws down new missions on you when you return there after completing other missions, and so I dare not wait to activate these missions first when I'm done with all the outside citadel ones, afraid to never reach the "end" of certain branching missions. I also find it very time consuming to do one mission at a time, returning to areas 10 times over to get new ones.

But damn it, there's too much! I'm already immersed in Angel, Dr Who, Äkta Människor (tv series), watch some movies, read comics, books, have school, jobs, friends, politics, etc. I forget stuff. I want more linearity in my RPGs people! I get less emotional resonance and the missions become less important when I cannot focus on them, because I forget details, things that matter.

Does anyone else have this problem?
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »

Nope. I want less linearity. That's why I like Bethesda games. I don't like the way Bioware does things.

Irony is for cowards.
AADA7A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »

Do you like the idea of having the freedom of going places and doing things in a non-linear fashion, and then play the game kind of linear somehow? Like do you do the missions city by city, theme by theme, or something, or just walk around wherever you may want to go that specific moment, ie do not have a system that you are aware of?
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »

Do you like the idea of having the freedom of going places and doing things in a non-linear fashion, and then play the game kind of linear somehow? Like do you do the missions city by city, theme by theme, or something, or just walk around wherever you may want to go that specific moment, ie do not have a system that you are aware of?

I just wander around. No system. Smiley

I've been spoiled by open worlds. Being led or herded annoys me greatly. I lose patience with that.

Irony is for cowards.
AADA7A

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »

I would describe my playing open world games as "running out of patience"! Interesting. I can't seem to find it, but there was a homepage that had a test where you tested for what type of player you are, and it had results from like thousands of people. It would be interesting what kind of player most notgamers, on this forum, are. Do you know which research project I'm thinking of?

Know what, think it was the Bartle Test! Know any other?

http://www.gamerdna.com/quizzes/
AADA7A

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »

Apparently I'm 100% competitive, and least physical and exploratory! I think this test sucked and makes sense in the MMORPG context... or at least more sense there than for me, here. It is not the test which I remember, or another version of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: