Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:14:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Unreality  (Read 10394 times)
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »

Quote from: Anonymus
We don't need virtual reality, we need virtual unreality
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »

You mean to say you have discovered the difference?
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »

The way I interpret the quote is, that we should not try to replicate reality in a virtual way, but to create something which can't be taken/confused for reality. Don't you agree?
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:44:57 AM »

The way I interpret the quote is, that we should not try to replicate reality in a virtual way, but to create something which can't be taken/confused for reality. Don't you agree?

I do!

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »

I actually don't. For one because we can never make the illusion complete. And I adore the little discrepancies between reality and simulation.
That being said, I do value artificiality. But I don't see how we can even avoid it in art!
Sometimes, of course, through conventions, we might mistake artificiality for reality. As in the case of videogames that mimic film: they look real to us not because they remind of reality, but because they remind us of the photographic depiction of reality.
I think videogames are a unique medium to express reality again, away from the technologic reproduction through photography and towards a more subjective representation (like pre-photography painting and sculpture). One of our many Tale of Tales motto's is "It needs to feel real, not necessarily look real."
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »

It needs to feel real, not necessarily look real

Do you mean it needs to feel true? I know you wrote "real"...
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »

It needs to feel real, not necessarily look real

Do you mean it needs to feel true? I know you wrote "real"...

No: real. Your body needs to be tricked -if only for a second- into thinking something is real. This probably works with memories that the body has of certain sensations. And this actually works better with animations and sounds and even sometimes interactions, than with visuals.
troshinsky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »

As in the case of videogames that mimic film: they look real to us not because they remind of reality, but because they remind us of the photographic depiction of reality.

Oh, never thought it that way, but that may actually explain why so called "cinematic" games bother me so much. A depiction of a depiction of reality, it does feel silly.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 01:55:52 AM »

I think I'm confusing both of your views. Or something. I see it both ways. I want to create things that you don't see and experience in your everyday life but can pull you in to make you feel like you are there. If that makes any sense.

Irony is for cowards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: