Notgames Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:37:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powers of Ten - don't mess with the universe  (Read 15493 times)
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »

I was revisiting this old film by Charles Eames, I am sure you all have seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

I have a flip book (which I looked at with my 6 years old daughter). I watched the film with her. While zooming in into a single atom, into protons, neutrons, I thought to myself:  Those nuclear powers are the building principles of our universe. We should not use that energy from a moral standpoint. I think it is even unethic. The atomic nucleus is not meant to be broken up. Don't mess with the universe, people. Or the universe will mess with us. Call me old fashioned...
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:10:01 AM »

It is literally impossible not to use that energy. It is, as said, the building principles of our universe.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »

We should not use that energy from a moral standpoint. I think it is even unethic. The atomic nucleus is not meant to be broken up. Don't mess with the universe, people. Or the universe will mess with us. Call me old fashioned...

I'm not sure that even makes sense. LIke Chainsawkitten said, it's the building principles of the universe. Also your statement sounds quasi-religious. The universe isn't a sentient being that will punish us for transgressions. You might as well say it will punish us for masturbating.

Irony is for cowards.
Pehr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »

Anyway, the supply of high quality energy by the radiation from the sun, is more than enough for our needs. Energy processes are continuously going on, so why not just join in?
It is a question of sufficiently smart technology ..  we do not have that yet, but are approachcing, I hope.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »

Anyway, the supply of high quality energy by the radiation from the sun, is more than enough for our needs. Energy processes are continuously going on, so why not just join in?
It is a question of sufficiently smart technology ..  we do not have that yet, but are approachcing, I hope.

Yeah, I hope so too. Solar power should be far more mature than it is.

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »

You might as well say it will punish us for masturbating.

It doesn't? Damn! If I had known that.
Um...
Bye! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: