Notgames Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:26:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Kickstarter / DoubleFine  (Read 16228 times)
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »

Kickstarter is a site, where you can get crowd funding...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

interesting way to fund your project. This morning it was at $320,000 now it is over $420,000
(Ithink they started yesterday)

I think this could work for Tale of Tales (since you guys already have a fan base).
I would fund a Tale of Tales game any day Wink
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »

Wow, that was fast! It shows there are a lot of people still out there that enjoy this type of game. I think Telltale Games success has shown that there is still interest but these are hard numbers. Hard numbers that were generated very very quickly. What was it, less than 24 hours to hit half a million dollars?

Irony is for cowards.
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »

yes, less than 24 hours since announcement. This is a good sign. If you have a community to back you up, I think Kickstarter is a great proposal.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »

Tim Shafer is immensely popular.
Somehow I don't think a Tale of Tales idea would go down quite as well.  Cheesy
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »

Tim Shafer is immensely popular.
Somehow I don't think a Tale of Tales idea would go down quite as well.  Cheesy

Perhaps not as large an amount could be generated but you do have a following and you could raise money for a smaller budgeted game.

Irony is for cowards.
Chris W

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »

Kickstarter is supposed to be really good, actually, even for small independent projects, though I don't have any personal experience with them.  The best part is that you typically don't pay the investment back!  You just give the investors some other form of value, like advanced collectors editions of your game, or signed concept work, stuff like that.
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »

Yeah...it's at $700k now.

The love and nostalgia for adventure games runs deep.  Cheesy

ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:01 PM »

I don't think it is only nostalgia. I believe it is a hunger for something beside the same bullshit we've had for the last 15 years.

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »

I don't think it is only nostalgia. I believe it is a hunger for something beside the same bullshit we've had for the last 15 years.

Yeah, give us some 30 years old bullshit instead! Wink
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:49:32 AM »

Yeah, give us some 30 years old bullshit instead! Wink

You are so bad. Cheesy

I don't think adventure games got to fully develop. You could argue that they had their chance and blew it (in fact Erik Wolpaw argued exactly that http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html 12 years ago) but I think they were going in the right direction with Cyan Worlds' last few games. And I really enjoyed Telltale's games. But yes, they were stuck in the past. I would argue they just didn't evolve fast enough.

Btw, they broke 1 million USD.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:08:54 AM by ghostwheel » Logged

Irony is for cowards.
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:28:28 AM »

Well I like adventure games, so I wish them the best. Smiley

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »

When we first started with Tale of Tales we were very happy to see that some people within the adventure games community were very excited about our work. We suddenly felt like we had found a home within games (in a time where genres still mattered a lot). But when we started talking to more people within that community, we encountered a huge resistance to innovation. I'd say this has been the downfall of adventure games: the format had become canon and a small core audience refused to consider anything that was not made strictly in the correct format.

Looked at it from another angle, though, the adventure game format is still hugely successful, considering that, if you leave the path of orthodoxy, most blockbuster games can easily be called adventure games (Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed, LA Noire, Uncharted, Skyrim, etc). In fact "Action Adventure" is sort of the genre of all those games (making the concept of genre, thankfully, obsolete).

But I guess Double Fine is promising to make a canonical adventure game?
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »

It is really exciting to see the money that has amounted. Would not be surprised if it ends at 2 or 3 million dollars (if you go by how something like Humble Bundle progresses in sales).

However, I am not very excited by the game, since I do not see any fun in bringing back "good old point and click". As Michael says, adventure games have been extremely resistant to progress and there has very little progress made since something like Monkey Island was released. What I see as the most negative aspect of classic adventure games, the obtuse puzzle design, has not evolved anything at really. If anything it has a regressed. If you look at interactive fiction, you see a tremendous difference. IF has addressed a lot of the shortcomings and problems and moved into more mature story lines as well. The classic adventure games released nowadays are basically sub-par rehashes of the old classics (only the evolution of hidden object games perhaps the only serious contender to a proper update).

It is true that parts of the adventure games have gone into other games as Michael mentions, but this is not really an evolution of the genre. It is just other types of games borrowing elements for adventure games. What I thought was so great in adventure games, the variety in actions performed and situations encountered, is not something that has been replicated.

I doubt that this double fine adventure game will do anything to change that.

I wonder if people might even play the game, being all exciting and then it will not really live up to the nostalgic expectations.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:45:40 AM by Thomas » Logged
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »

I wonder how much DF will feel responsible to its kickstarter funders. I think a lot of the backers do want that oldstyle Point-click adventure game. But judging from DF's previous work, I think they will do some inventive stuff. And no publisher to talk them into something. Like putting in some RTS elements Wink

I pledged §30, since I get the game and a work in process documentary (I really want to look behind the scenes of that project)... it basically works like a pre-order of a game.

If Jon Blow would go to Kickstarter, I would fund that, too Wink But fortunately The Witness will come out anyways...

check this out. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2048228827/it-rides-upon-usdc-to-nyc-and-back-by-rail-in-phot?ref=category

If less-known artists can get some funding through the popularity of kickstarter, I think it is a good thing. I hope we will get something like that for Europe...
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »

I think you all are assuming a lot. Tim Schafer, if nothing else, has never repeated himself. I doubt he will make a straight up old style adventure game. In fact, I suspect everyone would be disappointed if he did.

And Michael, for someone who doesn't like the complex control schemes of the current gaming generation, I would think a point and click interface would be something you would get behind. It's pretty straightforward.

Irony is for cowards.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: