Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:36:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Hodgin  (Read 11916 times)
flight404

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:23:55 AM »

Hello everyone. My name is Robert. I have a blog site at http://www.flight404.com and a more portfolio-oriented site at http://roberthodgin.com

I haven't made any games since I gave up Flash and started to work with Java (Processing) and now C++. I recently created a realtime environmental piece called Fuji which is being shown at the Wing Luke museum in Seattle. You can view a test render on Vimeo. http://vimeo.com/7565418

I am self employed after having spent the last 7 years with The Barbarian Group, a web/branding/advertising company. I left the company in September and am looking for new ways to fill my days.

I am now going to wander around the forum and see what has already been said. Thanks for the invite, Auriea.

God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:38:33 AM »

Your work has inspired me for a long time.  I even remember visiting your site back in the Flash days.  Thank you, and welcome ^_^

Erik Svedäng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:03:28 AM »

WOOOW, that looks so great
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »

Welcome Robert! We've been looking at your work a lot lately. Because we've worked on a project that involved articifial plant life ( groWorld ). And we'll start prototyping a new one soon. Our programming skills are not nearly as sophisticated as yours though!  Embarrassed Chapeau!

I added you Fuji movie to our Tumblr feed.
If you (or anybody else here, for that matter) would like to contribute to the notgames Tumblr, please send your email address to auriea -at- tale-of-tales.com.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:57:07 PM »

Also just gotta say that you have some made some really awesome looking stuff!
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:19:52 AM »

Wow, I actually saw your Fuji piece earlier but forgot about it! I really like the procedural landscape. Grin

I've done a bit of procedural environment stuff myself, though not much yet: Spring Rain

Also, I'm really excited about groWorld now, Tale of Tales! Cheesy I love procedural stuff, and plants, and ecology, and interesting multiplayer experiences and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I don't know what you are making exactly, but it reminds of the Jungle episode of Planet Earth - I thought it would be great to make a game where you are a plant competing for sunlight in a clearing opened up by a fallen tree.

Update:

I just saw your blog post In the beginning... about beginning from the blank screen, the empty void. I really like this because I have thought about this same sort of thing, and its opposite, the white glowing field of possibility.

I wrote more about it here, on the development blog for my (yet-to-be-created) game Dejeweled. For Dejeweled (and some other projects) I am using the white glowing field approach. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:34:46 AM by axcho » Logged
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:09:04 AM »

Also, I'm really excited about groWorld now, Tale of Tales! Cheesy I love procedural stuff, and plants, and ecology, and interesting multiplayer experiences and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Not to hijack this thread, but the groWorld game is currently not under development. We just made a few prototypes and helped design a concept with Foam. There are no plans to continue this project yet.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »

Not to hijack this thread, but the groWorld game is currently not under development. We just made a few prototypes and helped design a concept with Foam. There are no plans to continue this project yet.

Darn! Tongue That project would have been so cool...
flight404

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »

Agreed, groWorld would have been (will be) spectacular. Thanks for the kind words. And Michaël, my coding skills aren't nearly as sophisticated as I'd like. I think maybe collaboration is key.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: