Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:34:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hiiiiiii  (Read 9078 times)
sublimities
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »

Hey all
I'm ceMelusine. I'm a english lit/computer science student from Vancouver, Canada. I'm in my last year of studies and will probably be going into indie game (or notgame) development when I'm done. I don't really have much of a body of work yet. I've worked on a game called Kaiju Katastrophe at Global Game Jam, which was very bad. I'm currently working on a project without a proper name yet as a final project for my Undergrad degree. I am currently sitting in class while we are being given a nauseating digital media school presentation. I hate this crap so much. He is basically assuring us that we should all aspire to work on facebook games and make lots of money through the exploitation of others. blergggggg.
I like David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, indie music, abstract expressionism, surrealism and horror.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:18:05 AM by ce melusine » Logged
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 11:03:05 PM »

Hello and welcome!

There's nothing wrong with making money. We all have to eat. And exploitation is a strong word. If people like playing Facebook games and you make money from it and enjoy making them, why not? It's not like they have a gun to their head forcing them to play Farmville or whatever it is people play on there. However, Facebook is an untapped platform for notgames. Or even good games for that matter. I don't know about making lots of money though. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:06:23 PM by ghostwheel » Logged

Irony is for cowards.
sublimities
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:37:25 PM »

You are probably right. I should dump on an entire platform just because I happen to disagree with how it is used a lot of the time. I am just annoyed because we get these presentations and they are geared more towards business and marketing majors than computer scientists. I'm paying a not insubstantial amount of money for this class time just to be advertised to.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:51:18 AM »

If people like playing Facebook games and you make money from it and enjoy making them, why not?

Have you played FarmVille at all? It's not your regular fun anymore, I assure you. It's completely built for addiction. I don't think there is any moral ground to justify this. Especially in a world where there is so little to keep our societies from sliding back into barbarism!
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:54:28 AM »

Welcome, Phil! Do rebel against your teachers! Especially when they are stuffing capitalism down your throat.

I agree that there is far too much attention for commercial success and audience size than for quality, invention and beauty. The internet gives us an opportunity to stop mass culture. Let's grab it!
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »

If people like playing Facebook games and you make money from it and enjoy making them, why not?

Have you played FarmVille at all? It's not your regular fun anymore, I assure you. It's completely built for addiction. I don't think there is any moral ground to justify this. Especially in a world where there is so little to keep our societies from sliding back into barbarism!

Oh come on. Don't blame the addict, blame the dealer? No one is forcing anyone to play Farmville. And btw, Zynga's stocks are tumbling and their player numbers are falling by the millions. I told you people would get bored with it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:50:39 PM by ghostwheel » Logged

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »

I don't believe in freedom.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: