Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:26:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 hour games  (Read 31092 times)
Noumenon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »

I had a bit of fun playing through =( )= and 09801, and like someone else said the visual style was nice in both.

=( )= took two tries for me to get anywhere, but just because I kept moving around looking for something to interact with, so at least I've learnt a lesson in patience as a result.

I liked the set up of 09801, but what I took away from it was serious uncertainty about whether there was a win state to be found. A choice of lose states, yes.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »

There is no win state in 09801, and I didn't intend for it to be the kind of game you replay to get different endings or story branches. The "story branches" are there to make the characters' reactions to your input (type/not type) feel more natural and believable. I suppose searching for victory conditions comes naturally, especially if you notice that the nature of the "story branches" which are rather traditional and similar to visual novels, etc. (A more advanced AI would be a massive undertaking and completely unfeasible given the time constraints.) Perhaps there would be a way to more clearly communicate this so players don't waste their time.

Remnants is not for me. I love the music of Swans but I don't like this kind of narrative.
Whereas I also admire Swans, Remnants is more inspired by Gira's solo works and writings. By "this kind of narrative" I suppose you mean the content moreso than the presentation (or both)?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and impressions.

I've also made two new short games, one in 3 hours and one in ~8 (although for a 72 hour jam). One turned out quite like I expected (although lacking in audio); the other, not so much.

Aftermath - Download

A collection of thoughts regarding her, or a final explanation and apology - Postmortem - Download - Text
Postmortem recommended rather than the game (although I suppose it could be good to have played it when reading the postmortem).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:30:17 PM by Albin Bernhardsson » Logged
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

Participated in the Ludum Dare a while ago. Judging from the comments, it was a success (although I'm quite dissatisfied with the graphics).

What the hell I just played O_o - SirJson
I feel...odd...after playing that. - TehSkull
Well that made me uncomfortable [...] - dalbinblue
I am not sure what to think about that... - Cyboot

Ludum Dare page
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: