Notgames Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:55:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Warfare 3 vs. The Road To Guantanamo  (Read 8831 times)
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »

I watched it last week for the first time. That film about the Tipton Three made me really angry. What kind of democracy are we running, really? Since when is torture en vogue? How ignorant are we people in the west? Give me a game where I can fight the western "civilization" Wink I almost did forget that something like Guantanamo still exists...

Switching perspective. Played some MW3 (campaign). Have to fight Russians. I don't feel it. The campaign left me neutral. I did not care. There is nothing to it or in it. Nothing of relevance... it is a totally irrelevant game outside of the gaming scene.

Ok, don't want to get angry at MW3. They certainly had a different approach to modern warfare. But Road To Guantanamo has a more realistic view on what modern warfare really is, more realistic than this million-dollar-blockbuster. (It is a solid multiplayer-game, but nothing more). Based on this comparison about modern warfare, nobody can take games seriously as an art form. The big money is being taken seriously, though. I bet that MW3 will make 100 times more money than The Road To Guantanamo. Money. That's why games are relevant. Nothing else. But what will be discussed in 10-20 years? The film.

Verdict:

0 (MW3) : 1 (TRTG)

p.s. Fantasy Warfare 3 would be a more appropriate title for the game Wink

p.p.s sounds a bit harsh. I am talking about AAA games being irrelevant, of course
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:41:12 AM by György Dudas » Logged
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

– Battlefield är som en modern »tjuv och polis«-lek i en häftig miljö med stora explosioner. För våra spelare är lika ointresserade av seriösa krigsskildringar som vi är av att göra dem, säger Karl Magnus Troedsson.
Roughly translated:
Battlefield is like a modern »cops and robbers«-game in a cool environment with big explosions. Our players are as uninterested in serious war depictions as we are in making them, says Karl Magnus Troedsson. (vd of DICE)

(Yes, this is about Battlefield, but they're exactly the same game.)
KnifeFightBob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »

The irony (?) is that the author is someone who belongs to the group of Gothenburg indie devs I sometimes have drinks with. I would certainly not fuck the enemy if I was against them, so he will not be invited to my future master plans. Perhaps. The truth behind being a propaganda mouthpiece is likely more complex. Regardless, I have decided to boycott both MW3 and BF3. I was torrenting them but couldn't bear with wasting my time.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »

I can't help but wonder whom the story in Call of Duty is supposed to appeal to. I can't see how anyone over the age of 13 could possibly take it even remotely seriously yet it's an 18+ game. This leaves me wondering if players actually care about the story at all or if they just accept is as something that ties the shootout-sessions together.
troshinsky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »

Thought this was relevant, somehow:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/13/charlie-brooker-modern-warfare-3
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: