Notgames Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:26:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenaway is mocking some RPG conventions?  (Read 4110 times)
György Dudas

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »

While watching the Tulse Luper Suitcases, every time when Tulse Luper receives a beating a number count is popping out of his body. Is Greenaway mocking RPG or videogame clichees? Also Eric van Hoyten is appearing, the belgian stationmaster.

here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-MLKg7FJLk

although some people think that film is a passive medium I believe, that especially Greenaways films are highly "interactive". It certainly feels that way... The interactive part is between your eyes and the screen. You decide where to look at, and there is so much going on that you can't see everything at once. So you are interacting with the screen, I would say.

troshinsky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:20:03 AM »

No, I don´t think Greenaway has any idea of what an RPG is. The numbers on the screen count the hits that Tulse Luper recieve during his life, up to a total of 92. Everything turns around that number in this film: the suitcases, the list of objects to represent the world... it´s the Uranium atomic number, as Greenaway says that Uranium is the symbol for the twentieth century.

I think his most "interactive" film is by far "Drowning by Numbers", which is not only a film about games but also a film which was shot following a very severe set of rules, and which hides many riddles, secrets and games to be uncovered by the viewer. It´s all explained in his film "Fear of Drowning", very interesting to watch if you have the chance.

I also share this feeling for the cinema as interactive, It´s certainly not passive although I must agree with Chris Craford definition of interactivity when he says that cinema is "reactive" not "interactive", as for it being really interactive cinema would have to be able to listen and react to the audience´s reactions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: