Notgames Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:41:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My latest gametrekking notgames  (Read 7789 times)
JordanMagnuson

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »

Hi all. Sorry that I haven't been very active on this forum lately Sad . This is still one of my favorite forums on the internet... I just haven't been discussing much on the internet lately, since I've been spending all my time traveling, and all my other time trying to make notgames about it (gametrekking.com, for those who aren't familiar with my project).

Anyway, I am more passionate than ever about the notgame idea, and have been doing my best to make intentional notgames about my experiences traveling, and the things I learn about the countries that I pass through... just little sketches and experiments that may or may not be useful to anyone (and may or may not be overreaching and exploitative).

Anyway, without further ado, here's what I've churned out over the last few months:

---------------------------------
Taiwan : http://www.gametrekking.com/the-games/taiwan/taiwan/play-now

Relevant blog post: The first gametrekking games

A little abstract political piece that might be more game than notgame... I still intentionally left out many traditional gaming elements though (eg explicit goals, scoring, etc.).

The Kindness of Strangers : http://www.gametrekking.com/the-games/taiwan/the-kindness-of-strangers/play-now

Relevant blog posts: Taiwan: touch your heart, The first gametrekking games

An autobiographical travel piece that is definitely more notgame than game, but regretfully contains one really "gamey" element, which is the "wall-jumping" skill requirement.

The Killer : http://www.gametrekking.com/the-games/cambodia/the-killer/play-now

Relevant blog post: Cambodia: Like no place I've been

This one may be flat out emotionally-exploitative. I've had quite a few people say that it moved and/or educated them, but does it deserve to?

So anyway, I'm happy for any feedback or thoughts as usual. And no, my feelings won't be hurt Smiley .

Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »

Hello Jordan,

I just played Taiwan.
I imagined myself beeing in a representation of the Ying and Yang, trying to keep an equilibrium while immersed in forces that cyclically changes polarity (direction).
The mechanics fit: you have to maintain an equilibrium between fighting against those forces and surrender letting them carry you away.
When the dots arrived I found a bit moving seeing myself as the little circle struggling to keep my balance despite those accidents in life (work, people requiring your time and attention, health problems etc...)

I spent some time with Taiwan and it left me something.

Later I was surprised seeing you used the word political to describe it, while everything i felt was very much on a personal level.
Maybe the fact that you created the game out of personal experience with the land and it's people made it more general than you planned?  Smiley

I'll soon try the other games.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:36:22 PM »

I like the way you reinterpreted Walk or Die, giving it a very different context. The animation felt really fluid (or well, as fluid as low-res stick figures can get). I like Jónsi, but I think the music can sometimes be a bit grand whereas the actions on screen are quite uneventful for the most part, creating a contrast between the two.
JordanMagnuson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:14:40 AM »

@elDroid:

Thanks for your comments, and interpretation of Taiwan! That's great that the game didn't come across as overtly political to you, as I'd rather that it not do... I call It "political" just because I don't want to be accused of trying to "mask" a political message or something Wink. Where did you get to in the game? It continues to change up until about 1:50 . Interested to see what you thin of the other creations, as they are quite different Smiley.

@Chainsawkitten:

Thanks for taking the time! Yeah, I was going to mention that I reused a lot of code/assets for The Killer, but I figured it'd be obvious for anyone who played the other Smiley . I agree that the music may be a bit grand for the action... also that it's a bit of a juxtaposition from the context, being Icelandic in origin. The reason I use it is that the whole idea for the (not)game came to me while listening to that song (while in Cambodia), so it's all wrapped up together for me... though perhaps not for others.

Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »

I read about your games on this post, just decided to play them before reading your comments Smiley

I found your voice description in The Kindness of Strangers detaching me from the experience of the game.
Also keeping adding similar examples of kindness don't add to the awarness of the (not)gamer, which kind of learn by experience and not by what he/she's beeing told.
They say "Show, don't tell!" for movies and "Do, don't show!" for games... I guess the last stands for notgames as well.

I liked more the killer; walking towards the fields I found myself thinking about the greatness but also indifference of Nature towards dramas of men... I let myself wander about easily Smiley
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:51:14 PM »

I can't play Taiwan. Dot just moves. I can't seem to stop it. There's no squares.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »

I didn't want to play the person in The Killer. Is there any reason why I should?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: