Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:37:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I say Hello!  (Read 11421 times)
Måns

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »

Hello! (You never guessed I would open with that phrase, did you?)

My name is Måns Billing and I'm currently studying Game Design in Sweden. I began my education about half a year ago and I'm still struggling with the diffrent programs (Game Maker, Flash and Unity). These six months have been extremly interesting when I think of them from a "Notgame perspective". As I made my first games they were often very traditional. I was caught in the idea of games and what games are all about:

You have to include gameplay. Otherwise people wonder why you don't "make a film".
Games have to be games. They have to have rules. You must be able to win or lose. There must be score. Player skill must be involved.

Sure, all of this can be interesting but at the same time it's so very limiting. There is so much to explore when it comes to games/notgames/interactive entertainment. To me, the most important thing is the experience that I try to create. If that means making a "game" in which the player presses two buttons every hour or a full scale gameplay-game doesn't really matter.

I must also say that Fatale:Exploring Salome was an experience that changed the concept of games for me. I think that it was a sort catalyst that helped me focus my thoughts on games and what it really is all about (the experience).

You can find my homepage here: http://www.mansbilling.com/
I try to update it once in a while and there are some games for download. Most of the games are very, very prototype-ish and not completely finished. However I try to put up as much as possible, no matter the quality (almost) because there is something powerful in creativity - even if the final creation is not the best.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:53:33 PM by Måns » Logged

Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule.
But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel.
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:54:19 AM »

Welcome Smiley  That's interesting to hear about how you came around to this idea.  Make sure to share what you're working on; I'm sure you'll have a few good prototypes to show us ^_^

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »

Welcome!

You have to include gameplay. Otherwise people wonder why you don't "make a film".

Haha. We've hear that reaction to our work regularly. As if there's only two things you can do with a computer: games or films. You don't even need imagination to realize that this is untrue. Since the person making the remark is probably using a computer and software that is neither a game or a film.  Grin

I must also say that Fatale:Exploring Salome was an experience that changed the concept of games for me. I think that it was a sort catalyst that helped me focus my thoughts on games and what it really is all about (the experience).

Glad to hear it!
Måns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »

Haha. We've hear that reaction to our work regularly. As if there's only two things you can do with a computer: games or films. You don't even need imagination to realize that this is untrue. Since the person making the remark is probably using a computer and software that is neither a game or a film.  Grin

Indeed. It is very interesting to see how the video game medium has locked itself in a very tight room. When you try and pitch or explain an idea without any gameplay, an experience that isn't really a "game", people don't understand you. Why would you want to do that? As if we have to limit ourselves to only creating systematic games.

@ Got at play: I'll probably release my latest game/prototype on my website in a week or so. It's about thoughts in an elevator. It's about taking an elevator ride to work at 8 AM and what you mind is thinking of during that short time =)

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »

When you try and pitch or explain an idea without any gameplay, an experience that isn't really a "game", people don't understand you. Why would you want to do that?

Indeed. It's frustrating. Partially because the examples of non-game interactive entertainment are often not very appealing to gamers. This is why we're here: to expand and find new audiences, and to figure out ways to entertain the old audience with new things.
Måns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »

Perhaps it's bad manners to bump my old Introduction post but since I haven't been active for a while (and feel it's time to get back) I hope it's alright.

I'm still studying Game Design in Sweden (Blekinge Institute of Technology) and I've got roughly a year to go. During my education I have lost most of my interest for "traditional/AAA" games and I think that the experimental concept of Notgames is where we ought to go.

Feel free to visit my portfolio -> http://www.mansbilling.com/
I've got a mix of games there, I'm not overly proud of them all but I still find it more fun to let people play them than just hide them away.

The very best of regards,

Måns Billing!

ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »

To be honest, I never understood why people get so bent out of shape about bumping old threads. I don't even know why it is a problem. I hope we get to see some new games from you soon. Smiley

Irony is for cowards.
Måns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »

Hi!

Yeah, I've got one experience to upload. Just have to actually do it. I think I have a screenshot somewhere...
I'll try and upload it as soon as possible.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: