Notgames Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:28:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad / iPhone suggestions  (Read 12704 times)
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »

So I recently bought an iPad, and was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions on games.

Would be very interesting to hear about notgamey stuff, but anything would be appreciated!

So far I have just checked the most known stuff like Cut The Rope and Angry Birds. What I find interesting of especially Cut The Rope, is how the "hands on"-input gives the games a very special feel. The input device is not as transparent as a joypad, mouse or keyboard and it gives the sensation of the game being more of a separate world instead of the more immersed kind of sensation I find I have otherwise (if that made sense Tongue). Would be especially interesting to see other games where this was explored.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:48:38 PM »

I have neither iPad nor iPhone but one game that's caught my eye is Sword & Sworcery. The visuals and audio seem absolutely stunning, even if it does look like it's going to be a bit gamey.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »

Even though I am a bit fed up with pixelated graphics, I have to admit this looks nice. Too bad it is not out yet.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »

I love the look of S&S. I'm not so much sick of pixel graphics, I'm sick of "retro" pixel graphics. The very nature of pixel graphics carries with it that vibe but I think there is a small but important distinction. I simply like beautiful artwork and S&S is gorgeous. I'll point to this again http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/. These images are vintage pixel graphics but I'd hesitate to call them "retro," if that makes any sense. I doubt the artist made them thinking "damn, this is going to be so retro!" Immersion and realism/3d aren't necessarily the same.

Sorry, I'm derailing your thread.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:02:47 AM by ghostwheel » Logged

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »

Erik Loyer's Strange Rain is a must if you have an iPad!
Vectorpark's Levers is very nice too.
Jörg Piringer's abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz is a sort of interactive raw poetry.
And of course you'll want Erik Svedäng's Kometen.
Don't forget Noby Noby Boy.
Perhaps you might also want to have a look at Zen bound.

In terms of real (arcade) games, I love Jef Minter's stuff: Minotaur Rescue and Minotron.
And of course Infinity Gene, a modern take on Space Invaders.

Not a game at all, but a book: Solar System. Very well done, and very (awe) inspiring information.
In that same vein, Solar Walk is a beautiful model of the solar system.

And if you're sick of Safari, try Mercury.

Are you specifically looking for iPad games? Or also iPhone/iPod touch games?
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:36:03 AM »

Are you specifically looking for iPad games? Or also iPhone/iPod touch games?

I do not own an iPhone/iPod, so interested in those too.

Which makes me recall "Vanitas"! Smiley
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »

There's a version of The Graveyard for iPhone too.
(the iPad is too slow for it, so is the iPhone retina -because their resolutions are too high compared to the strength of their processor -a typical sign of technical evolution going backwards...)

On the iPhone, I also like Ruben & Lullaby, iClouds, Philia, Enso-Dot, Zen Bound, Tumbledrop, Glyder, Today I die, Hysteria, Zwirn, Colorbind and Age of Curling. At some point I played a lot of Drop7 but I was sort of addicted to it and when I realized how empty it was, I had to remove it.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »

Oh, lots of stuff! Thanks a bunch!

I tried Strange Rain yesterday and it was quite the experience. Interesting how such simple interaction had me hooked easily for over 30 min.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 04:21:09 PM »

I had a similar experience. I find Strange Rain a great companion when thinking about creative ideas.

Also, have a look at The Lake!
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 05:17:31 PM »

Sword & Sworcery was recently released and I spent a little more than hour with it yesterday.

I gotta say it is quite something. It has excellent audio and is extremely atmospheric. I am not that fond of the graphics, but it all just comes together in a very special and beautiful way.

Also worth noting is that thus far the games largest pitfalls have been to lean too much on being gamey. Which is a shame because it is quite a notgamey kind of experience otherwise!

I think I will writer some more about it when I have completed the game. But from what I played so far, I can really recommened it.
Erik Svedäng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »

yeah, I like it too so far... lot's of walking!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: