Notgames Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:12:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, let's start  (Read 9347 times)
Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »

Hello everybody,
I'm really glad to join this forum which I've been silently reading since the first days.

I've always loved videogames, very much. But i finished very few of them as I get easily tired of repetitive tasks (like kill, kill, kill... or quest, quest, quest... ) and I feel frustrated when I'm confronted with content put there merely to make the game of an industry-acceptable length.

Since the 90's I asserted in conversations that videogames could be real works of art, but wasn't able to provide any convincing example. I would have been more credible stating that I believed in aliens...

Then I almost casually stomped into The Path.

The joy I felt starting playing it must have been similar to that of Jodie Foster when she first heard the alien message in Contact!

I work as a professional programmer.
And recently I've started dedicating myself to making games.
I almost finished coding my first little project, in the meanwhile sketching the design for the second one, a bit more ambitious and personal.

The goal is to iterate, possibly increasing complexity, aesthetics and meaning  Cool
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:42:25 PM by elDroid » Logged
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:59:45 AM »

Welcome!

Looking forward to your work and ideas.

The joy I felt starting playing it must have been similar to that of Jodie Foster when she first heard the alien message in Contact!

How very flattering! Thank you.  Embarrassed  Kiss
Jeroen D. Stout

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »

Hello elDroid!

Looking forward to seeing what you were inspired to - my alien message was The Graveyard.

There is not much real works of art when it comes to games, but making them can be as good as seeing them, I do find.
Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:35:45 AM »

Hello Jeroen, and thank you.

Despite being a so constrained game I felt a sense of freedom playing The Graveyard, as if I finally wasn't expected to do anything.
I have the "full version" now, but I didn't  play it yet. Maybe I'm not ready to let the nice old lady go  Cry

Michaël, it seems many of us owe you a drink for the inspiration  Grin

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »

Michaël, it seems many of us owe you a drink for the inspiration  Grin

I am but half of the Siamese twins called Tale of Tales. Auriea will get half of each drink.  Smiley

Anyway, I'm very glad to notice this. Because we were feeling quite alone with our ideas for a while there. Which is frustrating because it all seems so obvious plus there's a real desire in the audience for these things. Glad to see more developers exploring the huge potential of the medium!
Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:04:20 AM »

I am but half of the Siamese twins called Tale of Tales. Auriea will get half of each drink. 

Of course  Wink

I thought of you and Auriea and The Path today when I saw this short "Lucia":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGj74CRn8xo

Marco Turetta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »

I see now it was ment to be in two parts.
This is the second one, shot one year later:
http://vimeo.com/5214935
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:32:24 AM by elDroid » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: