Notgames Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:24:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Isn't it funny how most of the topic titles here start with an 'H'?  (Read 8039 times)
Chris Platzer

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »

Hi,

My name is Chris Platzer. I am a professional software developer who likes to dabble with art.

I've always been fascinated by computer games. Even though I never really liked the game-like things about them - the part where you have to master a skill in order to proceed. I enjoyed toying with an interactive system far mor, exploring and breathing in the atmosphere.

I'm tired of games that are about confrontation, about defeating your opponents, about struggle to power, about mastering skills and leveling up. I'm tired of games that use addiction to keep people playing.

I want to create something positive. Something beautiful. Something that gives people time and space to reflect, to explore their own mind. Something that makes people experience genuine emotions, something that changes them, that affects them.

That is what I want to do. I don't care whether you call that "art" or "game" or "notgame" or whatever.
I believe the digital medium can be used to do that sort of thing.

From what I understand, notgames revolves around similar ideas. If nothing else, there are a lot of people on this forum who made things that deeply touched me. Things that strike me as a proof that that sort of thing I want to do is indeed possible. I hope that being part of this community will help me grow artistically. And maybe at some point I will have something useful to contribute myself.

Having said all that, I have to admit: I'm only just starting out. I don't have a website. I don't have any (not)games I created that I could show you. All I have is my honest interest for this topic - and my willingness to explore it further.
Erik Svedäng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »

Hello, nice to meet you!
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »

Hello and welcome! Unlike you and many others here, I don't necessarily have a problem with games just being games. I enjoy blowing the crap out of stuff now and then. But as a creator, I don't feel I have anything to add to that and as an artist, I wouldn't get much satisfaction out of creating a standard game. And I do agree the medium and technology is capable of so much more.

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:11:44 AM »

Welcome to the club that is trying to bring balance to the world of interactive entertainment! Smiley

Let's put some counterweight in the scale for those six billion zillion gamey games that are released every second!  Cheesy Sure, I love them ALL!  Kiss

Seriously, it sounds like you'll feel right at home here. Hope you can find stimulation and motivation. Looking forward to your future output! Feel free to discuss what you're working on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: