Notgames Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:55:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: I just released our new horror game "Amnesia"  (Read 30621 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 05:22:48 AM »

I think we have recouped the cost it took to make the game by now.

That's amazing! Congratulations!
Happy to hear this.
QXD-me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 06:02:33 PM »

Any examples here? As I want to remove any forced puzzles for the next game, would be nice to hear what you found most natural and which where least natural.

Off the top of my head,

Some I liked from Overture were:
-One bit where there was an item I needed on a high shelf, to get it I think I was supposed to use the broom behind me to knock it off, although it was also possible to just stack chairs/boxes and jump to get it.

-Another one was where there was a lever that opened a door, but once you let go the door started to close (albeit slowly). I'm not sure if it was possible to run to get there in time before it closed, but what I did instead of trying that was hung a chair on the lever to keep it down.

-Also, there was a box which I think contained a  battery for a machine, but it needed a special machine of its own to open, the machine didn't seem to be in the general area and the box couldn't be moved too far. Fortunately there was a nice deep pit nearby to drop it down. I suppose that may be a bit illogical (the battery could well have broken too) but it felt like good improvisation. (Getting the machine to work after that was unnecessarily complicated and quite annoying though.)

A couple I didn't really like from the start of 'Black Plague' were:
-In the first room, crushing the coin in a clamp to then use it to open the grate. Once I'd done it, I could see how it could possibly have worked, though it didn't feel very natural. Also, there was a toolbox in the room which I smashed, bits flew everywhere and I spent ages scouring the room to see if a screwdriver had fallen out of it.

-Another one was getting the soda can out of the vending machine. If I'd known I'd need the can it would have been easy, but when I examined the machine it said something along the lines of that it wasn't working, so I thought it was just scenery. Also, when I'd got the can, I had no idea what to do with it.

I guess on the whole I prefer the puzzles which don't rely so much on inventory items, but more on interacting with objects in the physical world, which tended to be the physics puzzles. Overture had some of the inventory puzzles too, but usually the required items were right there, or I'd just picked up some notes which explained what to do, so they were pretty easy and less annoying. I'll skim through a walk-through later to see if there were any notable ones I forgot about.
badvibration

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 08:15:15 PM »

-Also, there was a box which I think contained a  battery for a machine, but it needed a special machine of its own to open, the machine didn't seem to be in the general area and the box couldn't be moved too far. Fortunately there was a nice deep pit nearby to drop it down. I suppose that may be a bit illogical (the battery could well have broken too) but it felt like good improvisation. (Getting the machine to work after that was unnecessarily complicated and quite annoying though.)

Yeah i remember this one too, although i just didn't like the whole puzzle at all. If i remember right it was kind of a wooden box, which would signify i should be able to crack it open with the crowbar but i couldn't. And there were multiple boxes so i went around trying to crowbar all of them to no effect. I do like that you had to drop it down the pit, but i had to resort to a walkthrough to realize that's what i was supposed to do, and then a needed the walkthrough again to finish getting the machine to work.
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 11:32:41 PM »

Yeah congrats on recouping, although I can understand what you mean when you say that you're recouping a very unreasonable amount and so that won't really sustain you since you can't take that low of a salary again.

Maybe the next project could be smaller to build up another source of revenue quicker? Tongue

My hard drive is very low on space, but I hope to download the demo soon, heh.  Will the game run ok on a Macbook Pro with an X1600?

Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 12:46:59 AM »

QXD-me:
Thanks for the feedback! Good examples, and this is definitely what we are gonna go full out on for next game. No standard inventory puzzles at all is the goal.

badvibration:
It was meant to be a metal box Smiley Perhaps it had bad physics sounds or not good enough art? Smiley

God at play:
Well, money is still coming in and we have retail deals left that might bring in more cash. So, we have no intentions of making a simpler game Smiley We have tons of ideas and stuff to improve Smiley
Macbook Pro with an X1600 should work, if it does not, there is patch coming for mac very soon that should do the trick!
badvibration

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 03:09:10 AM »

badvibration:
It was meant to be a metal box Smiley Perhaps it had bad physics sounds or not good enough art? Smiley

Like i said i don't remember it clearly, it's been awhile. So it might've obviously been a metal box, but for some reason i though i should be able to smash it.
QXD-me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »

Amnesia: first impressions.

I tend to focus on the negatives so, since most of my points will probably be about things I didn't like so much, I'd like to start by saying that what I've played so far is pretty amazing. I can't remember ever being so immersed in a game before. I think I've sat down to play it 2/3 times (though I took a break in the middle of one of those to get something to eat, and also to ease the tension a little). And I think I've gotten just past the trap-door puzzle that was shown in one of the pre-release videos, I don't really know how far that is in the grand scheme of things.

The first thing that stood out to me was the menu screen. It seemed somehow wrong to me. I think it's because the menu seemed to be part of the 3D rendered background which made it appear to be part of the game world. "There are dungeons with bright computer game related words on them in this world?" Maybe this is just me being weird, but with the rendered backgrounds and the perspective at a similar place to where you would expect a game character's to be made it feel like the game had started, and yet there were menus.

Half life 2 does something similar, but I think it uses stranger camera views and the menu text doesn't seem to be a part of the world, it's like it's written on a window that looks into the world. My initial thought was that it may have been better if you moved around the area to select menu items, walked through different doors or something, but I don't know. I suppose you're probably more interested in feedback on the game iteslf.

Another early thing that I didn't like so much was the fact that almost as soon as I gained control, I practically lost it. I don't mind the stumbling / hard to controll-ness that comes with low sanity, but for it to happen straight away gave the impression that the actions weren't really controlled by me and sort of 'detatched' me from the character rather than making me feel like I was Daniel. Later on the loss of control works very effectively, though I'm not too sure about it happening so soon.

It's probably worth noting that the first time I played it I was really tired and not in the mood to be doing anything. But I felt compelled to do something, which ended up being play Amnesia so maybe my impression wouldn't have been quite as bad otherwise.

One thing that I Like is the fact that all the 'collectables' seem to be useful. This is perhaps the only game where I don't just horde items so that I'll always have plenty should I ever need them, I always want to use my flint/lantern because I don't want to be in the dark. There's no logical reason for it, I just want to. On the other hand, the flint/oil do seem to turn up in pretty weird places, or maybe I'm just not that up to date on usual flint storage locations.

And the thing I like the best so far is probably the monsters (I think I may have seen about two or three of them or perhaps even the same one 2/3 times). The great thing is that I still feel like I'm completely unprepared for any sort of close encounter to them. I have no idea what will happen if they catch me, but the world is so convinceing that I really don't want to know. Before I'd seen them I was getting pretty anxious about what would happen when I saw them. Reading about some of the creatures in one of the texts started getting me worried, then being told by the tutorial hints to run or hide when I saw one added to it as well. When I finally did see one I kinda froze and just tried to hide and stay completely still until it went away. Which it didn't, so I ended up trying to creep as slowly away from it as I could until I got a bit of distance between us, then I sprinted. It was incredibly nerve racking.

A final thing for the negatives is that the castle doesn't seem to be structured very naturally (or maybe it's just the way that you progress through it that doens't seem natural). It always seems like there's only one way to go at each point in time, then you unlock the next door, explore and move to the next. It seems kinda forced, though I'm not sure how that could be avoided easily in this type of game.

I don't think I've written this much in ages, but if more things occur to me while playing I'll come back and post some more. It's actually been a week or two since I last played it so there are probably a few things I forgot to mention.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »

QXD-me:
Thanks for the feedback! The trap door is still pretty early, more disturbing stuff to come Smiley
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 10:01:29 PM »

I finally tried the demo - and it freak me the hell out. I thought about buying it but I can't play it. Amnesia scares the crap out of me! It's just too good at what it does. I won't buy it because I'll never get through it! Yeah, I'm a wuss.

Irony is for cowards.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 11:54:58 PM »

I finally tried the demo - and it freak me the hell out. I thought about buying it but I can't play it. Amnesia scares the crap out of me! It's just too good at what it does. I won't buy it because I'll never get through it! Yeah, I'm a wuss.

That makes me both happy and sad to hear! Smiley
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »

Play it it short sessions, ghostwheel. And know that it's all in your mind.

Amnesia is not just scary. It's also very well designed. It will never abuse or neglect you the way that other, far more "fun" games do. It takes care of you, never leaves you alone. It's a story.
QXD-me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 12:55:17 AM »

I've finally found my first puzzle that I had to look up online, the one with the different shaped things (I forget what they were specifically, there was a square one and a triangle one and another one) and the lift. I hadn't actually realised it was a puzzle, I'd looked over the text, seen no immediate clues as to a puzzle and assumed I'd just missed something else out. Perhaps this was just a result of me being conditioned to not expect to have to do any form of abstract thinking in video games whatsoever.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »

I must admit that at this point (just made it past the Cistern), I have given up on trying to solve puzzles on my own. I just immediately read a walkthrough as soon as I realize something is a puzzle. Sometimes I don't realize it, though, and I solve a puzzle simple by interacting with things without really knowing why. I like this better because it doesn't take me out of the experience so much. But still, the puzzles are really a weak point in the design. Amnesia is a major improvement on Penumbra in this respect, in my opinion. And I hope the next Frictional game will take another step further in the same direction.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 06:35:49 PM »

Sometimes I don't realize it, though, and I solve a puzzle simple by interacting with things without really knowing why.
That is exactly what we where hoping for with all puzzles, but it was very hard to find the right level. Depending on the game experience people has, different things will feel intuitive.

Amnesia is a major improvement on Penumbra in this respect, in my opinion. And I hope the next Frictional game will take another step further in the same direction.
This is our major goal for the next game! We are trying to work out a design where the goal is always obvious and the player simple does interesting interactions along the way. As we do not want the player to feel like they are exploring on their own and not being handheld all the way. The trick is to actually do a lot of handholding, but keep the player unaware of this. We are not sure how to do this, but have some ideas. Perhaps I have to make a thread here discussing it Smiley
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »

Sounds great!

Yes, would love to discuss it! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: