Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:48:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sopranos (contains spoilers)  (Read 3319 times)
Henrik Flink

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »

This is just some thoughts of mine, nothing new under the stars, but thoughts we could use as we explore the interactive media.

For many years i wanted to watch The Sopranos after hearing so much good about it. So 1-2 month ago i started to watch the series and finished the 21:e episode of the 6th season the other day. And for those who not know about The Sopranos(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141842/) it's drama about a maffia family set in modern New Jersey. It's really well written, directed and good production values.

SMALL SPOILERS

Anyhow the thing i want to take up is the last scenes of the the whole series. It's not interesting in a story kind of way because the ending is kind of expected, but rather in the way he uses the essence of film making(as been discussed in another thread), editing.
Every cut is well planned and have it's meaning. The basics of is that he introduce a pattern of  cuts/views that he repeates until the last second of the episode.Thou not only, there's alot of other stuffed in there to but that is whats strikes me as most interesting.

The pattern follows(everything takes place at a restaurant): 1.The door bell rings as someone enters the restaurant. And the same time a shot on Tonys(the main character) face as he looks up to see who entered. 2. A POV shot from Tony as he looks at the door.

BIG FAT SPOILER

Instead of explaining the scene you should watch it instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM&feature=player_embedded

You can now be pretty sure of what happend to Tony right?(dispite alot of other theories) The last shot which is totaly black is Tonys POV at that time, dead. And i think this is a really good example of using the uniqueness of the film media to deliver this last scene. And not only that, i think i feel more for this black shot than if they would've shown it in 3rd person that he got shot. I really think that this cut convey a feeling of death and nothingness, and i felt kind of bad after seeing it, like i felt sorry for Tony that death is only this dark nothingness.

END OF BIG FAT SPOILER

Anyhow i wish that we could some day have the same experience of some interactiv media. That you really feel that this is a true work of art to use the essence, the uniqueness of what the media is offering and not only reproduction of another media or weak use of the media.

So how do we do this and what points of interactivite should be focused on?  Kiss
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:27:31 PM by Henrik Flink » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: