Notgames Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:40:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Myst Opportunity: 8-bit Immersion  (Read 21752 times)
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »

What I dislike with most 3d, the way it looks today, is that the presentation of the world is very objective. 3d rendering is almost always about pure math - you're computing how a certain 3d model would look from a certain angle.

I don't believe it has to be. I know we're trying to find a subjective way of using realtime 3D.

Would you say the same about photography?
In my mind, computer-based 3D is situated somewhere between photography and painting: it can render things realistically, but all its material is synthetic.

There's something very nice about realism, though, I think. Because we, the viewers, are real. And we connect to other real things very naturally. This is especially true for simulation of materials. Something oil painting can be very good at, maybe even better than photography.
Kjell

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »

I know we're trying to find a subjective way of using realtime 3D.

Stop looking, it's called deferred rendering Smiley

For those that are not familiar .. it's basically a two-step render approach. Imagine Dali / Klimt / Kandinsky sitting outside in a field. First you render the actual ( "real" ) scene that they see around them, then you use that data to render what a painting of that scene would look like using their specific aesthetic / technique.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 10:12:14 PM »

I am not "Dali / Klimt / Kandinsky".
Therefore "subjective" for me cannot be in their style. Smiley
I'm talking hand-work! Massaging the machine.
Kjell

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »

I am not "Dali / Klimt / Kandinsky".

You're welcome to swap any of those names with your own Wink
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: