Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warren Spector GDC Europe talk  (Read 16862 times)
Henrik Flink

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »

Heard that Warren Spector had kind of interesting talk at GDC Europe, where he talked about the difference between games and other media, so here's short article about it. It's good that other people starting to thinking about what the essence of videogames and interactive media is and not only try to replicate other media.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/35629/Spector-If-you-want-to-make-film-leave-games

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »

I think Mr Spector's heart is in the right plays. But he doesn't seem to have the language, or even the right kind of experience, to express it. I've always though Warren Spector asks the right questions, he just never seems to come up with the right answers. He seems to be too deeply entrenched in videogames to see that all his questions find easy answers just outside of that domain. So I think, he should include games (and most videogames are games) in his list of media that we should not try to emulate! Smiley
QXD-me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »

I think he makes some excellent points. I also think that he's on the right track (well, right or wrong implies only two possibilities which is kinda stupid. So a "very good track" may be better) and that he can probably only do good for the games industry.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 07:13:28 AM »

Yeah, movies and games. Smiley

Still, some good points. Like this:
Quote from: Warren Spector
but games are not about magic moments, or one-shots. Games are about the repeated action. Our job is to change the context around the repeated action.

Context. Interesting.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »

Games are about the repeated action.

Correct: in many cases, this is why games suck.

I'll have a few
magic moments
instead, thank you. Smiley
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 06:24:45 AM »

Games are about the repeated action.

Correct: in many cases, this is why games suck.

I'll have a few
magic moments
instead, thank you. Smiley

Yeah, I hate repetition in games. That's the main reason I have a very low tolerance for high difficulty. This short film, on the surface, appears to be a nonsensical action movie wannabe but... I don't want to spoil it, just watch: http://vimeo.com/8068842

Irony is for cowards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: