Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:30:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone preordered Sleep is Death?  (Read 12011 times)
Jorge

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:31:02 PM »

It should be released today for the people who preordered for 9$. I'd be interested in trying the game with you.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:48:02 AM »

I found myself too late to preorder, but I will buy it when it comes out.
Erik Svedäng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:45 AM »

I have it and tried it once with my gf, it was very fun! Just need to learn the interface a bit better.
Jorge

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »

I'm still practicing in the controller role so I would prefer not to play untill I can make something good, but I'm aviable to be your player just when you want Smiley
Dagda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:32:28 AM »

I'd love to get it, but I really can't say whether that'll be happening sooner (i.e. in the next week or so) or later. When/if I do get it, I'll be sure to check in here again.

Your daily does of devil's advocacy: "We're largely past the idea that games are solely for children, but many people are consciously trying to give their games more intellectual depth. Works of true brilliance are rarely motivated by insecurity."
Dagda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:05:33 AM »

I'd been meaning to make a comment here about how I was still going to be to poor to afford this for the near future (still underemployed- I'm literally running about 5 miles each day to avoid paying $4 for bus fare). Then I noticed the whole "Buy for you and a friend" thing.

We're friends, right? Guys?

I'll tell you a story~  Grin

Your daily does of devil's advocacy: "We're largely past the idea that games are solely for children, but many people are consciously trying to give their games more intellectual depth. Works of true brilliance are rarely motivated by insecurity."
Måns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:52 PM »

Yes, Sleep is Death seems really interesting.
I wonder, how does the experience compare to pen and paper roleplaying?

Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule.
But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »

I haven't been around on the forum for a while, but I just had to say this:

I just started playing Sleep Is Death with a storytelling friend, and it is really important. Probably the most important (not)game out there right now.

It is such a notgame.

If it were single-player, Michael would love it. I'd compare it with The Endless Forest, another freeform game about play and creating an experience with other real people through an artfully restricted set of interactions.

It is really dominating my thinking right now. I'll let you know when I've had more time to puzzle over it.

You can read through my first two stories here, in comic form:
http://sidtube.com/gallery/1194/
http://sidtube.com/gallery/1205/

I took the role of the Player. Keep in mind that these are raw noob attempts at improv acting. Tongue And yes, they are silly. Not really kid-safe though.

I've never tried tabletop roleplaying, otherwise I'd compare the experience. But the interaction is deliberately constrained in a way that crafts a particular type of experience. And it works very well.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you've tried it. Cheesy
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 01:27:42 AM »

I also mentioned SID in a comment on this blog post by Krystian Majewski. I thought our subsequent conversation would be worth reproducing here, for reference.

Quote from: Krystian Majewski
I don’t know about this one. Isn’t Sleep is Death a game narrative as a chartroom is literature? I thought the trick was to be able to understand storytelling at a fundamental level and putting that genie in the bottle. Giving up all authorial control to the players doesn’t seem like doing either of those things.

I didn’t think it was that interesting until I played it either. I’d recommend that you wait to classify or dismiss it until you’ve played it a few times. And also that you bump up the priority of playing it.

In some sense you will come upon a paradox if you get too fixated on the idea of securing authorial control and encoding it immutably into the mechanics of your game. You get too greedy with control and pretty soon your players have nothing to do; it ceases to be a game.

Admittedly Sleep Is Death goes pretty far toward the “abdication of authorship” approach of game storytelling, like The Sims, but at the same time once you start playing it you will start to see ways in which this authorship could be regained, while still allowing the player considerable freedom within it. It’s a shift in worldview. From the old place it looks like a dead end, but once you step over you will start to see that this is just the beginning.

For example, when I play I feel like an Actor. I am Playing a Role. This is fundamentally different than how I feel when I play a typical game, even one with a good story. And it is one of many aspects of Sleep Is Death that offer a new model for understanding authorship and story and freedom and choice in games, with many more possibilities than we had previously thought possible.

Cool?
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »

Doesn't the experience depend entirely on the storytelling talent of the "Controller"?
It feels like a Punch and Judy show to me. I'm only interested in playing it with somebody whom I think can tell a good story. And that's very few people, in my taste.

But this is probably because I'm looking for art. And maybe Sleep is Death is something else.
axcho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:56:18 AM »

Doesn't the experience depend entirely on the storytelling talent of the "Controller"?

Yes. And of the player - the lead actor.

My suggestion is not that Sleep Is Death is the ultimate in interactive art or game storytelling, but that it points in a very interesting and fruitful direction for further exploration.

At the simplest level, I will say that playing Sleep Is Death with a decent storyteller may give you lots of ideas about how to do interactive art and storytelling in your own projects.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: