Notgames Forum
March 19, 2024, 12:04:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Onlive  (Read 11997 times)
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:42:46 PM »

Onlive, in case you have not hear about it, is a service that runs games for you and sends data i realtime. Pretty much the Game equivalent of digital TV. Here is a quick walkthrough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0CeHuvw1Fw

I was a bit skeptical about issues like lag and availability, but it actually seems to be working quite nice!

I think this can have huge consequences for games as it increase the reach of games ALOT (anyone with TV + box can play) and it would also allow for shorter time based experiences. For example you could have a virtual museum tour for 5 bucks that lets you walk around in a simulated environment for X hours. With normal software you cannot limit time for the consumer like that + it gives much quicker access (no download time, fiddling with installation, etc). What I wanna get to is that this might actually be a big breakthrough for not-games, as I think this might be a more fitting format (because it allows shorter and different experiences).

Of course Onlive comes with issues (like the whole ownership thingie), it is not yet tested full scale (only alpha probably means not so many people are using it as will later on) and it might turn out to not be profitable... yet! I do think this is what we will see more and more of in the future and that it might even turn out to be as common as cable TV in 10 years or so.

What does everyone else here think?
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:44:16 AM »

We are looking at this.
But these kinds of services are always so proprietary.
I wouldn't want to go back to the television format for my entertainment.
But I guess it's the only way to get something done in a hyper-capitalist world.

Interesting technology. Let's hope it works. In Europe too.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »

The whole buying the game plus subscribing thing seems like a bad deal to me. If it was a all-you-can-eat service like Gametap, it would be cool. But as is, I'll pass.

Irony is for cowards.
Utforska

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »

I think this could be a really cool opportunity for certain types of games, but maybe not all. I'm sure future gaming platforms could distribute the computing between the player's hardware and the server. So the fast, timing sensitive stuff could be executed locally, while the cloud could serve stuff that takes a lot of disk space or requires very specialized hardware. For instance if you had huge amounts of disk space, you could get some pretty advanced combinations of prerendered and real-time graphics... this could make that feasible.

Shouldn't it be nice for developers too? Make the game on what ever platform fits best, yet it can be played on just about everything with a good connection.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »

I think this could be a really cool opportunity for certain types of games, but maybe not all. I'm sure future gaming platforms could distribute the computing between the player's hardware and the server. So the fast, timing sensitive stuff could be executed locally, while the cloud could serve stuff that takes a lot of disk space or requires very specialized hardware. For instance if you had huge amounts of disk space, you could get some pretty advanced combinations of prerendered and real-time graphics... this could make that feasible.

Shouldn't it be nice for developers too? Make the game on what ever platform fits best, yet it can be played on just about everything with a good connection.

What you describe sounds ridiculously complex. Home PCs are powerful enough now to do realtime or pre-rendered video without much difficulty. I see no benefit to distributing it "in the cloud." The "cloud" is simply yet another in a long line of tech buzzwords. In another few years, it will sound as antiquated as "virtual reality." OnLive would have been a cool if it was a subscription only service. As expensive as it will end up for anyone using the service, you might as well buy a console.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:13:21 AM by ghostwheel » Logged

Irony is for cowards.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:08:55 PM »

That most computers can do streaming video is the basic assumption of this service, I guess. But fewer and fewer computers seem to be able to run high-end 3D graphics anymore, especially because of concerns regarding cost and power consumption. A service like Onlive could reduce the impact of this trend by allowing us to play high end games on low end platforms.

It feels a bit strange to me to move back towards the mainframe concept of networking, where most users simply have a limited terminal machine. But I guess this is the logical conclusion of Web 2.0. It feels very "anti-internet" (which was supposed to be decentralized and non-hierarchical).
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »

That most computers can do streaming video is the basic assumption of this service, I guess. But fewer and fewer computers seem to be able to run high-end 3D graphics anymore, especially because of concerns regarding cost and power consumption. A service like Onlive could reduce the impact of this trend by allowing us to play high end games on low end platforms.

It feels a bit strange to me to move back towards the mainframe concept of networking, where most users simply have a limited terminal machine. But I guess this is the logical conclusion of Web 2.0. It feels very "anti-internet" (which was supposed to be decentralized and non-hierarchical).

I don't disagree. I'm not into conspiracies so don't take it this way. I do believe this sort of thing (including the iPad and iPhone) are part of a progression for companies to have more control. They can't control the internet so they are going to control the hardware you use to get there. I think it sucks but there's nothing I or anyone else here that can do anything about it. Sad

Irony is for cowards.
Kjell

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »

Understanding next-gen streaming game services
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 11:38:21 PM »

What happens when one of these servics goes out of business? You can't play the games anymore, d'oh!

Irony is for cowards.
Kjell

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »

OnLive is a rental service. The full price licenses give you access "until at least 17th June 2013".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: