Notgames Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Journey - That Game Company  (Read 19388 times)
Henrik Flink

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »

Leaked information about That Game Company's new game. Seems to be some kind of online adventure/exploration, could be really interesting. More info will be announced later on e3
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398445

Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:20:08 AM »

I've seen a video of this when Kellee Santiago visited us last week. It looks like a very lovely, cleverly made project! It still has puzzles, but they seem very accessible (as in Flower, I guess). And the emphasis is firmly on being in the world, exploration and motion. I really love their multiplayer concept! It seems like you simply share the world with other players, whom you cannot identify. And you chose to play with them or not.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »

It's official! Smiley

Jenova Chen's artistic statement is very interesting.

Quote from: Jenova
While most video games offer the sense of empowerment in the online gaming experience, we felt the player will pay more attention to the other players if they are less distracted by the power, and the online gaming experience will be quite unique if it carries the feeling of awe towards the unknown.

I love how Thatgamecompany builds its games around the content they want to deal with and figure out a way to express this content through interaction. I admire that, in the end, they can still get to some kind of game structure, which is, sadly, still essential in the games market. But hopefully their work opens the eyes of the public to the fact that the beauty of videogames does not lie in their sportive format but in their content and how it can be expressed.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »

Sounds very intriguing!
I like who they start to say "why" they make the game instead of "what" the game is about.
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »

http://vimeo.com/12728602

Interview with Jenova Chen regarding the game.
Albin Bernhardsson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 05:20:06 PM »

I found that interview very interesting. I especially like the part where he says that if we could already describe the emotion with a word, then there wouldn't be any need for a game. I've primarily focused on capturing emotions that are not usually expressed in games. What if we could provoke an emotion that has not been expressed in any non-interactive media either?
Thomas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »

More info:
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6266636/journey-impressions

Perhaps time to get a ps3 Smiley It is really shaping up to get some interesting titles.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 12:09:40 PM »

Another interview:
http://www.gamepro.com/video/news/144043/journey-developer-interview/
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 12:11:09 PM »

Perhaps time to get a ps3 Smiley It is really shaping up to get some interesting titles.

Maybe we should approach Sony as a collective. They seem to be the most likely platform (next to PC) for notgames-inspired projects.
ghostwheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »

It's unfortunate that he doesn't release these games for PC.

Irony is for cowards.
Kaworu Nagisa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »

It's unfortunate that he doesn't release these games for PC.

Agreed.

The world needs organization ^_^
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 11:53:37 PM »

It's a "they," and I think they would if they could.  The platforms TGC's current games are released for seem to be completely up to Sony at this point. I really look forward to checking it out some time...when I have access to a PS3, heh.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: