Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:28:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Combining live-action with interaction?  (Read 15217 times)
Utforska

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:46:36 PM »

Live actors and photography is fairly rare in interactive entertainment. We're more used to seeing various types of animation, simply because it's much easier to combine with interaction. This means that by default, games and other interactive media are more useful to tell stories about things other than the real world. If we want to tell a story about the real world, the developer has to spend a lot of time and money hunting for photorealism.

But how difficult would it be to combine live-action and complex interaction? Not necessarily an "interactive movie", but just some way of using real people but still keep it interactive. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here, but I just thought it could be an interesting starting point for further consideration...
Kjell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »

Technically it's easy, but you have to keep the restrictions of both media combined in mind ( video is a 2D format, even the stereoscopic variant ). On the other hand, live-action techniques such as motion-capture and 3D-scanning are common ground these days .. they're not exactly cheap though.

Some blasts from the past using digitized actors:

Time Traveler ( 1991 )

Mortal Kombat 3 ( 1995 )

Rise of the Triad ( 1995 )
Henrik Flink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »

Actually i read something about it a while ago, the site is translated from Swedish so maybe it wont make sense, i dunno.  Wink
Interactive horror movie

Utforska

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »

Actually i read something about it a while ago, the site is translated from Swedish so maybe it wont make sense, i dunno.  Wink
Interactive horror movie

Fortunately, I'm Swedish... hadn't seen that article, looks like an interesting concept but am I a bore if I assume it may not work perfectly in reality...?
Utforska

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »

Just watched some of a "let's play" of Heavy Rain. It struck me how that kind of gameplay could almost be created with filmed actors... since they keep cutting between different camera angles, it shouldn't hard to branch the possible actions without advanced video editing. Wouldn't it be cool to play something like that with actual, real actors?

I wonder if it would be more or less expensive than doing it with animation...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: