Notgames Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:49:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4'33'' of uniqueness  (Read 6036 times)
Pierrec

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:27:56 AM »

http://oujevipo.over-blog.fr/article-four-minutes-and-thirty-three-seconds-of-uniqueness-43743922.html

Have you played this notgame? I guess you have, but i've seen no subject about it.

If you haven't, try it now. I'm sure 4'33'' of uniqueness is a notgame experience that you are looking for.
Nothing to do, nothing to watch during 4 minutes and 33 seconds (an explicit reference of John Cage's 4'33'').
You just have to feel.

Feeling your uniqueness if nothing happens during the 4'33'' because it means you're the only one in the world playing this game right now. For the first time of your life you'll be sure to do something really unique.
Feeling an intense communion with the world if the game breaks bedore the end, cause it means someone else, in the world, that you don't even know, is doing in the same time, exactly the same thing.

Isn't that great? A game dealing only with feelings?
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »

Agreed, I think this videogame is awesome, and is one of Petri's best works, even though he made it as a half-joke.

I have an unpublished blog post that is a sort of academic essay on this topic.  It's about meaning and how the videogame itself doesn't necessarily have to be the source of meaning, and how sometimes that occurs through the context of the game, like its title or launching/closing the executable itself.

You end up asking the question "Where does the experience begin or end?" which I think is something interesting to think about.  This videogame begins as soon as you launch it, and might end within 2 seconds.  Because the content of the game itself is mostly meaningless (aside from the progress bar), the meaning comes from the understanding of the game's context.  Like you said, you realize that you're the only one experiencing this in the world.  That understanding is something almost completely independent of the game experience itself.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: