Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:51:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Hi from France  (Read 8765 times)
Pierrec

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:24:56 PM »

(As you can undestand in the title, I'm french, and if I'm good at reading english [so i can understand you] I'm not good at writing...so, my apologies.)

I juste discovered this forum, and what i red amazed me. I love your way of thinking guys.
Although, i'm not sure to have really understood what is a "Notgame" even after reading your manifesto and some topics on the subject. (I'll be back ok that)

Just to present myself : I'm Pierre, i'm not a game designer like moste of you, but un web-journalist student interested in video games.
I have a blog, which is called Oujevipo. You can see it here : http://oujevipo.over-blog.fr/ , but it's all in french so i'm not sure you'll be interested.

Anyway : The title Oujevipo is an acronym for "Ouvroir de Jeux Video Potentiel" or something about exploring the potentiality of video game média. It was inspired by the Oulipo, a french litterature movement who explores the potentiality of litterature (writing a book without the letter E ect...), there were some english writers too (Harry Matheww for exemple)

If a Notgame is a "game" (sorry, my english is too bad to find another word) not answering to the game definitions (wins and losses, interactivity...) that's what i call an oujevipian game, and I love it.

So if you don't mind, i think i'll stay, maybe silently to not hurt your eyes, a bit in this forum to see what you think and what you do.
Maybe you'll find some interesting stuff on my blog. [Edit : I think there is some of yours productions in it)
I'm sure I'll find some interesting stuff in here.
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »

Welcome, Pierrec!
English is not my first language either. It's Dutch. But I'm Belgian, so I do understand French. Mais je ne le parle pas très bien.

Anyway, we're trying not to see "notgame" as a word for a sort of games. Instead I prefer to think of Notgames as the name of an idea and an initiative to stimulate a broader approach to working with the medium of videogames. Specifically to not start from the idea that interactive entertainment or art should be designed as a game. To try and think of other ways to delight and enlighten the player/user/reader/viewer/listener. Ways that may be more appropriate to the wide range of subjects we want to work with.

So it's not as random as writing without using the letter E. To the contrary in a way: it's writing with 150 letters instead of just 26. Smiley
Pierrec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:45:55 AM »

So it's not as random as writing without using the letter E. To the contrary in a way: it's writing with 150 letters instead of just 26.
I don't know what it means, but I love it.

If I understood well : you're thinking about create something between video games and interactive video...
To be honest, i think it is semanticly (if the word doesn't exist, look on a french dictionary) impossible.
(but as you say in your manifesto : "There is no notgame"

But that's why I already love this forum. You know, in France, we love to discuss/argue for nothing (some chinese friends make me notice it), and all your reflexions about notgames are just...wow...amazing...

In France, we call it "masturbation intellectuelle", intellectual wanking. And there is nothing better.

Sorry for my "franc-parler" (it means "being rude" and could be translated by "French speaking" which is funny), but i'm french, and, actually, i'm drunk.

[ps : writing without ther letter E isn't random at all...or I didn'y quite undestood the meaning of random]
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »

If I understood well : you're thinking about create something between video games and interactive video...

Not at all. We're thinking about creating software. Anything can happen!
Removing the game-part from videogame is just the first step, the next step is all the new things we put in!
The goal is to come to an artistic medium that is as diverse as painting, sculpture, architecture, music, literature or film. Only betterGrin

Santé!  Wink
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

Welcome Pierrec!  It will be great to get your feedback on various creations here Smiley

Pierrec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 12:42:27 PM »

Sounds great.
I'll definitly stay here for a while.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: