Notgames Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:47:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: IGF confirms conservative climate in games industry  (Read 21752 times)
Derrick

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »

3d graphics require a lot of work. give us young kids some time and we'll catch up. Cheesy

zerojuan, I'm not sure we have an excuse anymore... Unity has all but made 3D games extremely doable even for us kids =)

Time will always be the thing that kills me, truly
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »

3d graphics require a lot of work. give us young kids some time and we'll catch up. Cheesy

zerojuan, I'm not sure we have an excuse anymore... Unity has all but made 3D games extremely doable even for us kids =)

It's still difficult, though. If only in terms of asset creation. It's just more work to create a 3D model + texture than a 2D sprite.
Though I actually find 3D easier in terms of conceptualisation. Because it just makes more sense to build a world in 3D than 2D. And that's what we do.

It's a lot of work. But it's very satisfying work. It really feels like making something. And the public really appreciates it too (at least outside of the hardcore indie niche who seem to have a prejudice against 3D). But you have to do it well. And it's always a good idea, if your budget is limited, to figure out a unique aesthetic style. Because you can never compete with AAA titles in terms of photorealism. The cool thing about 3D aesthetics is that there's still so much potential, because there's virtually no reference (as opposed to 2D graphics which have been preceded by centuries of image making).
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: