Notgames Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:55:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yow! Sven here! (I think I'll join in the 'non-first-letter-H-subject')  (Read 7880 times)
Sven

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:02:41 PM »

Hiya all,

The name's Sven Boers, from the Netherlands.

Currently a 2nd year student at the HKU, studying game design and development and specializing in Narrative design.

not much to say bout myself tho... Like to draw, read, write, tell stories, bla...

anyways, happy to be here, at least something interesting is goin on here.  Grin
more than at school atm... Tongue

Bla!
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »

Welcome, Sven!

So, what do they teach you at HKU?
Do you have theory courses?
Do you get commissions?
Is the focus on games, on videogames, on AAA games, on art or on something else even?
Sven

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:53:49 PM »

what they teach?

well, to be honest, not much...
Their focus lies on the state of mind they call 'design thinking'
That's the main thing they teach you. And methods that can help you with it.

There are a number of various courses: interaction design (mostly physical applications), game design and development (creating gameplay, narrative, and programming) and game art (mostly modeling and concept art)

Yes, we have some theoretical classes. But not really useful ones for me though. The theory classes are more focussed on skills you might need, such as programming and modelling.

We are taught by completing projects. We are given an assignment like 'make a game that teaches a high-school student about drugs'. And we have to deliver a prototype with 6 to 8 weeks. 
We don't get commissions, at least, not until year 3 I think, not really sure...

Bla!
Jeroen D. Stout

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:02:19 AM »

Hi Sven!

Am I correct in thinking you were in my seminar group last year? Or am I getting old Wink?

Hope the HKU is treating its students well these days! I miss those corridors.

-J
Sven

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:12:56 PM »

Hey Jeroen,

Yep, ur right, that'd be me Wink

Bla!
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 06:24:21 AM »

Welcome. Smiley  Focusing on teaching students how to enter into a state of mind to accomplish something sounds like a pretty good vocational education to me.  It'd be interesting to know if they take this approach with other more "general" studies.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: